Faster Than Light Particle: Could it Create the Universe?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a particle breaking the speed of light barrier and whether it could constitute the entire universe or if it was the purpose of the Big Bang. However, this scenario is not possible according to Einstein's Special Relativity and any speculation would not be based on reality. The thread was subsequently closed.
Mike Downey
TL;DR Summary
I've wondered what would happen to a particle if it could break through the 186,000 miles/second barrier and go faster than light.
Would it go say 186,001 miles/second or would it go infinitely fast. I understand that Einstein's special relativity prohibits this but I have just wondered.
I've wondered what would happen to a particle if it could break through the 186,000 miles/second speed barrier and go faster than light. Would it go say 186,001 miles/second or would it go infinitely fast. I know Einsteins Special Relativity prohibits this but I have just wondered.
Now if this particle could break through this barrier and go infinitely fast (all places at the same time) is it possible this one particle could constitute the whole universe.
Is it also possible that the sole purpose of the Big Bang was to create this one particle?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mike Downey said:
Would it go say 186,001 miles/second or would it go infinitely fast. I know Einsteins Special Relativity prohibits this but I have just wondered.
As you say, it's impossible, so you'd have to invent changes to the laws of physics to permit it. You therefore get to choose what you want to predict. But because you are making up the rules instead of modeling what we actually see, your prediction will have nothing to do with reality.

Likes Orodruin
You cannot just say things like that and expect that relativity has an answer. You are essentially asking what the theory says about something that cannot occur according to the theory. The answer is that it cannot occur so the question is moot.

Mike Downey said:
Now if this particle could break through this barrier and go infinitely fast (all places at the same time) is it possible this one particle could constitute the whole universe.
Is it also possible that the sole purpose of the Big Bang was to create this one particle?
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

We do not allow personal speculation like this. Please avoid such speculation in your future posts. It is fine to ask questions -- that is how we learn.

But as has been mentioned, what you are asking (a particle moving faster than c in a vacuum) is not possible.

Thread will be closed now.

1. What is a faster than light particle?

A faster than light particle, also known as a tachyon, is a hypothetical particle that travels faster than the speed of light. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything can travel in the universe. However, some theories suggest that tachyons may exist and could potentially travel faster than light.

2. How could a faster than light particle create the universe?

There is currently no scientific evidence to support the idea that a faster than light particle could create the universe. The most widely accepted theory for the creation of the universe is the Big Bang theory, which states that the universe began as a singularity and expanded rapidly. While some theories suggest that tachyons could have played a role in the early stages of the universe, this is still a topic of debate and further research is needed.

3. Is it possible for humans to travel faster than light using these particles?

At this time, it is not possible for humans to travel faster than light using any known particles, including tachyons. The speed of light is a fundamental limit in the universe and breaking this limit would require a massive amount of energy, which is currently beyond our technological capabilities.

4. Are there any experiments being conducted to study faster than light particles?

There have been some experiments conducted to study the potential existence of tachyons, but none have yielded conclusive results. These experiments involve observing particles that are believed to travel faster than light, such as neutrinos, and measuring their properties. However, more research and evidence is needed to fully understand the nature of these particles.

5. What are the implications of a faster than light particle for our understanding of the universe?

If tachyons were to be proven to exist and travel faster than light, it would greatly challenge our current understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It could potentially open up new possibilities for space travel and communication, but it would also require a major shift in our understanding of fundamental physics principles. However, until there is solid evidence for the existence of tachyons, their implications for the universe remain speculative.