1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I If a polynomial and its derivative have the same root, then the root is a repeated root?

1. May 28, 2016 #1
    Given a polynomial ##f(x)##. Suppose there exists a value ##c## such that ##f(c)=f'(c)=0##, where ##f'## denotes the derivative of ##f##. Then ##f(x)=(x-c)^mh(x)##, where ##m## is an integer greater than 1 and ##h(x)## is a polynomial.

Is it true? Could you prove it?

Note: The converse is true and can be proved easily.

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Looks quite trivial to me.

4. May 28, 2016 #3
    It's trivial if we know what to use.

I managed to prove it using factor theorem. But I guessed I wanted to see if there is a more elementary proof when I posted the question. And then I found an elementary proof for factor theorem.

5. May 28, 2016 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If ##f(c) = 0## then ##f(x) = (x-c)g(x)## and ##f'(x) = g(x) + (x-c)g'(x) \dots##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted