If a Portal appeared in front of you, would you step through it?

• Thread starter Zdenka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Portal
In summary, the person is considering jumping through a portal. They have thoughts on whether or not to do it, and if they did, what they would do.
When I was a kid, I built a "UFO" out of a thin plastic laundry bag, soda straws for a frame, and heated by birthday-cake candles. I launched it from my backyard after sunset on a cold winter day, then when it gained enough altitude to get up into the sunlight, it simply gleamed. I ran around the neighborhood pounding on doors to get other kids to come out and see the "UFO". Eventually, I told them the truth, but it was fun for a while.

Physics news on Phys.org
turbo-1 said:
When I was a kid, I built a "UFO" out of a thin plastic laundry bag, soda straws for a frame, and heated by birthday-cake candles. I launched it from my backyard after sunset on a cold winter day, then when it gained enough altitude to get up into the sunlight, it simply gleamed. I ran around the neighborhood pounding on doors to get other kids to come out and see the "UFO". Eventually, I told them the truth, but it was fun for a while.

I used an eight-foot diameter weather balloon. IIRC. it took an entire H tank of helium. From there I just dressed it up with black plastic, and lights. It was all part the story of the great war between the Vorgons and the Be-gones, that had evolved over the week.

The next day while we were starting the clean-up, we had ~thirty people talking like Mickey Mouse.

Interestingly, during the week of the camp, NASA made the first announcement that ancient life may have been discovered in a martian meteorite. As I made the announcement, the looks on the faces of the kids and the parents was priceless. Everyone thought it must be some kind of joke! :biggrin:

Without a doubt, I would. They say curiosity kills the cat but it can also reap rewards. I would do it for Science. Oh yeah, and myself considering the money I could make from TV appearances and all.

Cyrus said:
Words can't describe how awesome and hilarious that is. I can't imagine a bunch of kids running around. :rofl:

It was certainly one of memorable moments in life. We had a few minor injuries - skinned knees and elbows - and we had three scared kids hiding in the bushes, in the dark, in the forest, but in the end it was a huge hit and everyone loved it. It couldn't have been a more dramatic moment - a great finale to a great week.

In case the point was not clear in regards to the op: I think the three that ran the other direction were the smart ones - most likely to reproduce.

Ivan Seeking said:
It was certainly one of memorable moments in life. We had a few minor injuries - skinned knees and elbows - and we had three scared kids hiding in the bushes, in the dark, in the forest, but in the end it was a huge hit and everyone loved it. It couldn't have been a more dramatic moment - a great finale to a great week.

In case the point was not clear in regards to the op: I think the three that ran the other direction were the smart ones - most likely to reproduce.

AHAHAHAH, see, you could never get away with anything like that these days. Kids need to be tramatized. It's good for them. :devil:

Cyrus said:
AHAHAHAH, see, you could never get away with anything like that these days. Kids need to be tramatized. It's good for them. :devil:

Even then... it was an unexpected reaction. As the childwall moved towards me with parents and coordinators yelling to no avail - barely audible above the screams of the kids - I could see the scoutmaster looking pie-eyed and holding his head in his hands. On my side of things, I think my heart nearly stopped as I saw the first kid tumble.

Ivan Seeking said:
Even then... it was an unexpected reaction. As the childwall moved towards me with parents and coordinators yelling to no avail - barely audible above the screams of the kids - I could see the scoutmaster looking pie-eyed and holding his head in his hands. On my side of things, I think my heart nearly stopped as I saw the first kid tumble.

If only you had filmed that, you would be cashing in on Americas Funniest Home Videos.

Cyrus said:
If only you had filmed that, you would be cashing in on Americas Funniest Home Videos.

Heh, no kidding! In fact I don't know that someone didn't film it. We probably had about 150 adults with cameras and videos. I never thought to ask. :cry:

No doubt though that I had the best perspective of anyone.

I had also rebuilt a life-sized, remote-controlled robot that interacted with the kids all week. I operated it from behind the stage. I was so busy and it was so hectic that I hever even got a photograph of it.

I once drove through town with the robot tied up in the back of my truck, standing upright, and screaming for help.

Last edited:
Addressing the OP: If I was single, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Knowing nothing about a portal, I couldn't possible do it today because I have a wife and responsibilities.

Might make sense to send in some dogs on leashes... and see what they bring back or whether the leashes instantaneously combust.

Unknot said:
Might make sense to send in some dogs on leashes... and see what they bring back or whether the leashes instantaneously combust.
Not dogs! I love dogs! Throw some cats through, maybe... :uhh:

turbo-1 said:
Not dogs! I love dogs! Throw some cats through, maybe... :uhh:
You don't have to throw cats through it! Just put them down in front of it and give them a few minutes.

If I go through, packing list so far:
three Days rations
swimwear
sunblock
Rubik's Cube
American Express Travelers Cheques
iPod Touch
two rolls toilet paper
6 boxes of Durex Sensi-Thin
Irish coin collection
passport
emergency sewing thread & needle
black licorice (hate the stuff, but might sell/barter well enough)
couple boxes of Mexican jumping beans
first season of Lost on DVD
Life-size cutout of Gillian Anderson

OAQfirst said:
If I go through, packing list so far:
three Days rations
swimwear
sunblock
Rubik's Cube
American Express Travelers Cheques
iPod Touch
two rolls toilet paper
6 boxes of Durex Sensi-Thin
Irish coin collection
passport
emergency sewing thread & needle
black licorice (hate the stuff, but might sell/barter well enough)
couple boxes of Mexican jumping beans
first season of Lost on DVD
Life-size cutout of Gillian Anderson
:rofl:

Huzzah! Moonbear is back! :biggrin:

I'll confess to being an impulsive jumper by nature. The funky dancing also sounds like a great idea too though. I'm not getting enough funky dancing nowadays.

Evo really has the most logical approach however, and I'll keep that in my back pocket should such an opportunity REALLY present itself.

Lots of interesting responses, folks! I'm jumping in without money, because if an Alien civilization is advanced enough to open a wormhole, then they won't need money as they only do things to better themselves. :))

Zdenka said:
Lots of interesting responses, folks! I'm jumping in without money, because if an Alien civilization is advanced enough to open a wormhole, then they won't need money as they only do things to better themselves. :))

Early reports today confirmed that the zfRigdayoi people of the planet Riglhug 2 pinned their last great hope of survival, and their last currency note, on the Salvtyunigni Portal, praying that someone or something from the distant planet Earth might venture through and assist them with rebuilding their economy. While examining Earth transmissions, their highly skilled linguists suggested that the Earthling Burn Hard M'aduff [approximate translation] might be just what they're looking for, given the popular focus on him in Earth "Nooz shose." It was hoped that this M'aduff might be near the portal and curious enough to step through, at which point he would be offered a leading position in the planet's economic management programs.

<h2>1. What is a portal?</h2><p>A portal is a hypothetical opening or doorway that connects two separate locations or dimensions. It is often portrayed in science fiction and fantasy as a means of transportation between different worlds or realities.</p><h2>2. Is it possible for a portal to appear in front of me?</h2><p>As a scientist, I cannot definitively say whether portals exist or not. The concept of portals is currently only a theoretical possibility and has not been proven by scientific evidence.</p><h2>3. What would happen if I stepped through a portal?</h2><p>Since portals are purely hypothetical, it is impossible to predict what would happen if you were to step through one. It would depend on the specific characteristics and properties of the portal itself, which are currently unknown.</p><h2>4. Would it be safe to step through a portal?</h2><p>Again, this is difficult to determine without knowing the exact nature of the portal. In science fiction, portals are often depicted as dangerous or unpredictable, but in reality, it is impossible to say for sure.</p><h2>5. Are there any real-life examples of portals?</h2><p>Currently, there are no known examples of portals in the real world. However, there are scientific theories and experiments being conducted that explore the possibility of creating portals or wormholes through advanced technology and understanding of physics.</p>

1. What is a portal?

A portal is a hypothetical opening or doorway that connects two separate locations or dimensions. It is often portrayed in science fiction and fantasy as a means of transportation between different worlds or realities.

2. Is it possible for a portal to appear in front of me?

As a scientist, I cannot definitively say whether portals exist or not. The concept of portals is currently only a theoretical possibility and has not been proven by scientific evidence.

3. What would happen if I stepped through a portal?

Since portals are purely hypothetical, it is impossible to predict what would happen if you were to step through one. It would depend on the specific characteristics and properties of the portal itself, which are currently unknown.

4. Would it be safe to step through a portal?

Again, this is difficult to determine without knowing the exact nature of the portal. In science fiction, portals are often depicted as dangerous or unpredictable, but in reality, it is impossible to say for sure.

5. Are there any real-life examples of portals?

Currently, there are no known examples of portals in the real world. However, there are scientific theories and experiments being conducted that explore the possibility of creating portals or wormholes through advanced technology and understanding of physics.