1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If a rocket is moving upwards at 28.72 meters per second, how long until it stops?

1. Jul 14, 2009 #1
    A rocket is moving upwards at 28.72 meters per second. Then, its engines are turned off. How much time will it take for it to come to a stop if it is traveling upwards exactly straight? Also, how far would the rocket have had traveled after its engines were shut off? The weight of the rocket is 3.156 kilograms.

Thanks. This is a personal project that I am working on and is not a homework question.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: If a rocket is moving upwards at 28.72 meters per second, how long until it stops

Ignoring air resistance it's quite easy - including air resistance is a little trickier but possible if you don't mind some programming or a spreadsheet.

Any falling object accelerates at the same rate 9.8m/s^2 and any rising object (once the motor has stopped) slows by 9.8m/s^2

Then it's simply v=u+at since v=0 when it stops you simply have t = 0-28.72/-9.8 = 2.9s

4. Jul 14, 2009 #3
    Re: If a rocket is moving upwards at 28.72 meters per second, how long until it stops

Ok great. That told me how long it will take. Now i just need to know how far it will travel in those 2.9 seconds. Thanks

5. Jul 14, 2009 #4

Any ideas?

6. Jul 14, 2009 #5

Ok. I believe i found a formula but I am not sure. The formula is

d = v^2/2ug = (28.72 m/s)^2/2(9.8 m/s) = 42.08 meters

Is this correct?

7. Jul 14, 2009 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes the equation is normally written as, V^2=U^2 + 2 g s
    Again v=0 and u=28.72m/s g=9.8m/s/s
    There is a sticky in the intro physics with all these equations

8. Jul 14, 2009 #7

Ok. I have the following

0 = (28.72 m/s)^2 + 2(9.8 m/s)(2.9 seconds)

Now how do I find how far the rocket traveled? I am trying to figuer out how far the rocket will travel in the 2.9 seconds that it takes for it to stop and come back to the ground.

Thanks

9. Jul 14, 2009 #8

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry 's' is displacement ie. distance (for slightly complicated reasons)
    0 = (28.72 m/s)^2 + 2(9.8 m/s/s) * distance
    so rearranged
    distance = 0-(28.72 m/s)^2 / 2 * (9.8 m/s/s) = 42.08m

This is the distance up (ie until speed is zero) the total time and total distance is twice this.

10. Jul 14, 2009 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

You can also take the average speed, since the acceleration is constant: (28.72)/2*2.9

11. Jul 14, 2009 #10

Perfect! Thank you!

12. Jul 14, 2009 #11

OK. But you can't neglect drag.

13. Jul 14, 2009 #12

Ok now how do I calculate drag?

14. Jul 15, 2009 #13

The guy doesn't even know basic kinematics and you're suggesting he calculate drag?

Don't worry about drag, it's a much, much more complicated creature and in most cases makes little to no difference.

15. Jul 15, 2009 #14

Oh good. I am glad to hear that I don't have to redo all of the calculations regarding the rockets altitude. Haha. Thanks.

I will learn how to calculate drag later in my college years. Thanks though.

16. Jul 15, 2009 #15

It's a rocket not a rock.

..........and why would you think I'm asked the OP to answer his own question?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook