Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If a UFO lands in front of you. Which way would you run?

What would you do?

Poll closed Oct 25, 2003.
  1. Approach the thing

6 vote(s)
  2. Stand your ground and wait

9 vote(s)
  3. Run like the wind

3 vote(s)
  4. Other

1 vote(s)
  1. Jul 17, 2003 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is not a discussion about UFOs, or aliens, or transdimensional spirits. This is a question about human nature. I had occasion to do a real test of this with 100 10 year old boys.

What would you do?

A UFO - something obviously not of this world - lands in front of you. Would you approach it? Would you run away from it? Or would you stand your ground and wait?
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2003 #2
    If I'm drunk enough I would enter the UFO's door, take control of the ship and then visit the galaxy a bit
    If not just sit there and see what's happening... I guess resistance would be futile
  4. Jul 17, 2003 #3
    I would stand my ground and wait too see waht happens.

****ed up the poll though by selecting the top one, the fool that i am!
  5. Jul 17, 2003 #4
    With their love of anal probes, I don't think it would be a good idea to turn your back on the thing, so I voted for stand my ground.
  6. Jul 17, 2003 #5
    i would blow the ship straight to hell
  7. Jul 18, 2003 #6
    That would certainly warm the relations between our civilisations
  8. Jul 18, 2003 #7

Science Advisor

I voted - approach it, but I really would've voted for
    "run like hell" if you added - TOWARDS the UFO ! :wink:
    I mean, this planet is so boring in many ways, I wan'na
    have some real galactic fun !
  9. Jul 19, 2003 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well Drag, I have some bad news for you. Some years ago I helped to put on a Space Camp for the Cub Scouts. After building up this well planned story for a week, complete with all of the threatening elements needed for any good nemesis - the enemy alien Be-Gones - we had these kids really pumped. Then the mother ship appeared over the hill [really an invisibly tethered 8 ft weather balloon with large black wings, blinking lights, sound effects; the works]. Sbout 97 kids saw this and ran towards the mother ship. About 3 or 4 ran the other direction. These were also a few of the brightest kids present. We decided that this was significant.

PS. I voted to stand my ground and wait. It seems that I am just as likely as you to get vaporized with a zero point energy weapon.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2003
  10. Jul 20, 2003 #9

If the alien I encounter would be a female, I'll run (towards). If the alien's a male, I'll stand still. If it's a bisexual, hell, I'll run like wind!!!
  11. Jul 20, 2003 #10
    It should have bee "earth GUYS are easy"

I'd stay and chance getting fried. Bbeats watching the next MIB movie.
  12. Jul 21, 2003 #11
    How do you know whether they are male, female or bisexual? Perhaps you need to stand really close before you can recognise it.

I chose stand your ground and wait. If they are hostile, at least I can hold my breath and pretend I'm just a non-living creature like a lamp post or a statue.
  13. Jul 21, 2003 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ya! They might be quintasexual...hey...oh never mind.

Gosh! That never would have occurred to me!
    They may not be able to tell the difference. To Zeta Reticulins, we and trees all look alike!
  14. Jul 21, 2003 #13
    Towards it! :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?