If ab in G, then a and b in G?

• Thread starter daveyinaz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of invertible linear transformations in a finite dimensional vector space and their relationship to groups. The conclusion is that if ST=I, then S and T are automatically invertible and are inverses of each other. This is shown through the properties of injectivity and surjectivity. However, the statement "If ab in G, then a and b in G" is not always true, as demonstrated with the example of G=Z and a=b=1/2.
daveyinaz
If ab in G, then a and b in G??

I'm not sure I've convinced myself here.

Take the L be the set of all linear transformations from V -> V, where V is a finite dimensional vector space. We know that G contained within L of all invertible linear transformations is a group. Say you have S, T within L and ST = I [ST is functional composition S(T(v))], where I is the identity mapping. Then it must be that ST is invertible (since we know that 1-1 <=> onto <=> invertible in L) since ST is a 1-1 and onto mapping. Which means ST in G and the inverse of (ST)^-1 = T^-1S^-1...but this also implies that T and S are invertible and thus in G?

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't understand what you're saying. You're starting with the assumption that S and T are invertible (otherwise we wouldn't have ST=I). Then you're concluding that S and T are invertible?

The only reason you say that I'm starting with S and T are invertible is because V is finite dimensional right? Since DM = I where D is the differentiation and M is the linear transformation such that for a polynomial p, then I(p) = a_0x + (a_1/2)x^2 + ... + (a_k/k+1)x^k+1 on the set of all polynomials with real coefficients yet D nor M is bijective.

Yup - in finite dimensions a linear map is invertible iff it's surjective iff it's injective.

The thing that bothers me that S and T are automatically invertible to begin with is that it is not known that TS = I.

I'm still confused. What exactly are you trying to do?

For now show TS = I. Merely to show that S and T are invertible and in G. Since we all know for groups if a and b are in G, then ab in G. In this case, do we have if ab in G, then a and b in G. Since I start with S and T in L (not known whether it is in G or not) and not every S and T in L are invertible.

Let me see if I understood that correctly. You're starting with S and T in L such that ST is invertible. And you want to determine whether or not this implies that S and T are invertible. Correct?

I'm starting with S and T in L such that ST = I.

The only reason I say ST is invertible is because if ST is the identity mapping on a finite dimensional vector space to itself, then it must be bijective.

Yes of course in that case ST is invertible. And it's also equally obvious that S and T are invertible (in fact they're inverses of each other).

I don't think it's as obvious as you claim it is. That is to show that TS = I, thereby making T and S invertible and further making them inverses of each other.

If ST=I, then this means that T is injective and S is surjective, which in turn implies that T and S are invertible as we've already discussed.

Damn it! I knew there was something like that I was not remembering.

Not that it matters now, there is another way to show that TS = I by using bases and image under the bases and blah blah blah...this way just seems more straightforward...

Thanks.

No problem.

In general, "If ab in G, then a and b in G" does not hold.
Take G = Z (the integers) and a=b=1/2.

Clearly you meant you meant ab to mean addition and not multiplication right?

Yes, I wrote the group multiplication multiplicatively. In the case of Z this means of course addition.:smile:

1. What does "ab in G" mean?

"ab in G" means that the elements a and b are both members of the group G. This indicates that a and b can be operated on using the group's operation and will result in a new element that is also a member of G.

2. What is a group in this context?

A group is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and an operation that combines any two elements to form a third element. In this context, the group G is the set of elements that satisfies the condition "ab in G" when a and b are also in G.

3. How do you know if a and b are in G?

If the statement "ab in G" is true, then it is assumed that a and b are in G. However, in order for this statement to be true, a and b must satisfy the conditions of the group G. This could be determined by checking if a and b follow the specific rules and properties of the given group.

4. What does "if" mean in this statement?

In this context, "if" is a conditional statement that indicates that the statement "ab in G" is true only if a and b are also in G. This means that if a and b are not in G, then the statement "ab in G" is false.

5. How is this statement helpful in scientific research?

This statement is helpful in scientific research as it allows us to determine the properties and relationships of elements within a group. It provides a way to analyze and understand the behavior of these elements and how they interact with each other. This can be applied in various fields such as chemistry, physics, and computer science.