Linear Algebra: Solve B^(-1) with A, C, D

In summary: I think I figured it out. I can't just do what I did on my attempt. (I wrote that on my test but owell)
sam0617
I'm looking for help to this problem. Here is my attempt:

I being the identity matrix and B^(-1) being B to the negative 1st power.

A (B B^(-1)) C D = B^(-1) I
so A I C D = B^(-1)
so A C D = B^(-1)

Thank you for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org

sam0617 said:
I'm looking for help to this problem. Here is my attempt:

I being the identity matrix and B^(-1) being B to the negative 1st power.

A (B B^(-1)) C D = B^(-1) I
so A I C D = B^(-1)
so A C D = B^(-1)

Thank you for any help.

Hey sam0617 and welcome to the forums.

Assuming you start off with ABCD = I, that operation will not work. In terms of matrix operations with multiplication, you can only left multiply or right multiply, and you have to do the same thing for each side.

So if you want to pre-multiply by B^(-1), then you will get B^(-1) x ABCD = B^(-1) x I = B^(-1) which is not equal to ACD.

Given these hints, what is your next step?

chiro said:
Hey sam0617 and welcome to the forums.

Assuming you start off with ABCD = I, that operation will not work. In terms of matrix operations with multiplication, you can only left multiply or right multiply, and you have to do the same thing for each side.

So if you want to pre-multiply by B^(-1), then you will get B^(-1) x ABCD = B^(-1) x I = B^(-1) which is not equal to ACD.

Given these hints, what is your next step?

I think I figured it out. I can't just do what I did on my attempt. (I wrote that on my test but owell)

A^(-1)ABCD = A^(-1)I
BCD = A^(-1)
BCDA=A^(-1) A
BCDA = I
B^(-1)BCDA = B^(-1)I
CDA = B^(-1)

Thank you for the help.

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces.

2. What does it mean to solve B^(-1) with A, C, D?

Solving B^(-1) with A, C, D refers to finding the inverse of matrix B using the matrices A, C, and D. This involves performing matrix operations to manipulate the given matrices and obtain the inverse of B.

3. Why is it important to solve B^(-1) with A, C, D?

Finding the inverse of a matrix is important in many applications such as solving systems of linear equations, calculating determinants, and performing various transformations in computer graphics and engineering.

4. What are the steps to solve B^(-1) with A, C, D?

The steps to solve B^(-1) with A, C, D may vary depending on the given matrices, but generally involve performing matrix operations such as row reduction, matrix multiplication, and finding the determinant of B.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving B^(-1) with A, C, D?

Solving B^(-1) with A, C, D has various real-world applications such as finding the inverse of a chemical reaction matrix in chemistry, calculating the inverse of a data matrix in statistics, and finding the inverse of a transformation matrix in computer graphics and machine learning.