1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If an object the size of the empire statbuilding had iron density,what would be .

1. Sep 18, 2012 #1
    If an object the size of the empire statbuilding had iron density,what would be .....

the mass of it?

The estimated volume of the empire state building is 37 million cubic feet,how could I calculate the mass of this solid object if it had a density of Iron(which would be 7870 kg/m³)?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: If an object the size of the empire statbuilding had iron density,what would be .

Multiply the density by the volume.

4. Sep 18, 2012 #3
    Re: If an object the size of the empire statbuilding had iron density,what would be .

So I converted the ft^3 to m^3 and I have 1.04 million m^3* 7870kg/m^3=8184800000 kg/m^3.Did I do this right or do I have to remove the kg/m^3?

5. Sep 18, 2012 #4

Wow if I am correct is that over 8 billion kilograms of mass?

6. Sep 18, 2012 #5

So here is a follow up question,how much energy would be required to propel this object at Mach 7 speeds?

7. Sep 18, 2012 #6

1/2 mv2

m=mass in kg
    v=speed in meters / second

That would be if the propulsion device was 100% efficient and there was no air resistance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook