Life on a Cubical Earth: Imagining Gravity and Everyday Challenges

In summary, DaleSpam's response is accurate - unless you suspend the law of gravity, the gravitational field will not be generally perpendicular to the surface and walking to a corner will be like climbing a really high mountain.
AdityaDev
I was thinking about a situation where we lived in a cubical earth! (Gravity is such that people at each surface will still feel that they are standing upright). I came up with some interesting situations like when a ship crosses an edge or throwing a ball from the edge of surface... What would life be like, in such a scenario?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Bizarro World ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bizarro_World

806406-bizzaroworld.jpg

AdityaDev said:
Gravity is such that people at each surface will still feel that they are standing upright

Is that true? I don't think it is.

AdityaDev said:
(Gravity is such that people at each surface will still feel that they are standing upright).
No, gravity doesn't work that way. People on each surface would feel that they are climbing one of 8 giant mountains. They would not think that the surface is horizontal.

DaleSpam said:
No, gravity doesn't work that way. People on each surface would feel that they are climbing one of 8 giant mountains. They would not think that the surface is horizontal.
Why can't gravity act perpendicular to the surface? Like field lines are uniform along positive x direction passing through the y-z plane?

DaleSpam said:
No, gravity doesn't work that way.
My interpretation of the OP's post is that he is declaring that gravity would be arranged that way - not that it would naturally be that way.

Thing is, as soon as he does that, he has to come up with the answer to his own question - because it's artificially constructed. To what resolution does the gravity remain normal to a surface? If you are standing one hundred yards from the edge, do you feel gravity normal to the ground i.e. no effect from the other surface? What about one foot from the edge? What if you straddle the edge? Would each leg be pulled in unique direction? Which way would your head be pulled?

AdityaDev said:
Why can't gravity act perpendicular to the surface? Like field lines are uniform along positive x direction passing through the y-z plane?
Are you asking why physics works the way it does?

If you stand on the side of a steep hill, which way would gravity pull you? Would you expect to stand perpendicular to the side of the hill?

DaveC426913 said:
My interpretation of the OP's post is that he is declaring that gravity would be arranged that way - not that it would naturally be that way.

Thing is, as soon as he does that, he has to come up with the answer to his own question - because it's artificially constructed. To what resolution does the gravity remain normal to a surface? If you are standing one hundred yards from the edge, do you feel gravity normal to the ground i.e. no effect from the other surface? What about one foot from the edge? What if you straddle the edge? Would each leg be pulled in unique direction? Which way would your head be pulled?
The situation is unreal. That's what I wanted to mean. It's hypothetical. Well for simplicity the field lines at one surface do not affect the other. If he is in surface 1, he will feel the gravitational pull of surface 1.
If he puts one leg on one surface and the other on an adjacent surface?? I don't know what's going to happen.

DaveC426913 said:
Are you asking why physics works the way it does?

If you stand on the side of a steep hill, which way would gravity pull you? Would you expect to stand perpendicular to the side of the hill?
No no. If a person stands on a mountain of inclination theta (mountain on surface '1') then he will feel mgsin(theta) along surface and mgcos(theta) along the normal to mountain surface.

AdityaDev said:
The situation is unreal. That's what I wanted to mean. It's hypothetical. Well for simplicity the field lines at one surface do not affect the other. If he is in surface 1, he will feel the gravitational pull of surface 1.
If he puts one leg on one surface and the other on an adjacent surface?? I don't know what's going to happen.
Right. So it's up to you to make up your own scenario. Decide how your fictional artificial gravity generators operate, where they are placed (presumably underground), and how their fields attentuate. Then your occupants will be able to tell where "down" is.

AdityaDev said:

If you actually calculate the gravitational force on the surface using Newton's law of gravity (you will need to do some integration here) , you will find that DaleSpam's response is accurate - unless you suspend the law of gravity, the gravitational field will not be generally perpendicular to the surface and walking to a corner will be like climbing a really high mountain.

If you do the calculations you will also find that the forces on the corners are so great that even solid rock cannot resist them so the corners will be pulled down towards the center. This is, of course, why the Earth and all other planet-sized bodies are spherical.

AdityaDev said:
The situation is unreal. That's what I wanted to mean. It's hypothetical...I don't know what's going to happen.

Nor does anyone else, as your question is basically "What do the laws of physics say will happen in a situation in which the laws of physics don't apply?". That's not going to be a productive physics forums discussion so the thread is closed.

1. What is a Cubical Earth?

A Cubical Earth is a hypothetical planet that is shaped like a cube rather than a sphere. It is often used in thought experiments to explore the consequences of living on a planet with different physical properties.

2. How does gravity work on a Cubical Earth?

On a Cubical Earth, gravity would still pull objects towards the center of mass, just like on a spherical planet. However, the direction of gravity would vary depending on which side of the cube an object is on. This would result in different gravitational pulls in different parts of the planet.

3. What would be the effects of living on a Cubical Earth?

Living on a Cubical Earth would present unique challenges such as constantly adjusting to changing gravitational pulls, experiencing distorted horizons, and potentially having uneven distribution of resources and habitable land. It would also require a reimagining of architecture and navigation.

4. Could life exist on a Cubical Earth?

While it is possible for life to exist on a Cubical Earth, it would likely be very different from life on a spherical planet. The varying gravitational pulls and distorted horizons would require organisms to adapt in unique ways in order to survive.

5. How does the concept of a Cubical Earth impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of a Cubical Earth can help us to think outside of the box and challenge our perception of what is possible in the universe. It also highlights the importance of understanding the physical properties of our own planet and how they shape life on Earth.