1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If f(x)=2x^2 + 1 and g(x) = x -1, find f+g, composition of f&g, and their domains.

1. Jun 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

posted in title

2. Relevant equations

none

3. The attempt at a solution
    f+g would be

(2x^2+1) + (x-1) = 2x^2 + x so the domain for f+g is all real numbers but i dont know how to find the one for the composite. i am still confused as to what a composite function is, please help me!!! thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Re: If f(x)=2x^2 + 1 and g(x) = x -1, find f+g, composition of f&g, and their domains

composition of f&g is nothing but f o g which is the same as fg or f(g(x)).

So take the entire g(x) and put it wherever you see 'x' in f.

4. Jun 27, 2010 #3
    Re: If f(x)=2x^2 + 1 and g(x) = x -1, find f+g, composition of f&g, and their domains

the composite is simply g then? or is it f(x) multiplied by g(x)?

5. Jun 27, 2010 #4

danago

Gold Member

As rock.freak said, it is f(g(x)), not g(x). 'x' is the input to g and then the output g(x) becomes the input to f. It is different to multiplying.

As an example: If g(x)=x+x^2 and f(x)=2x, then the composition gf(x) = 2x + (2x)^2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook