1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If g°f is one-to-one, must f and g both be one-to-

1. Mar 15, 2012 #1
    1. If g°f (g composed with f, two functions) is one-to-one, must f and g both be one-to-one?

2. The answer is, no, only f has to be, but I just can't see why!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2012 #2
    Obviously g needs to be one to one when restricted to Im(f) ...

4. Mar 15, 2012 #3
    Apparently not! I first guessed that both f and g had to be one-to-one, because I could not draw a map otherwise, but the graded work sent back to me said "No! Only f has to be 1-1"

5. Mar 15, 2012 #4
    Also, the next problem is: "Let f:A→B and g:B→C be maps such that g°f is injective. Prove that f must be injective."

So, twice he's said that it is f that must be injective. I just can't figure out why g doesn't have to be...

6. Mar 15, 2012 #5
    Your grader is right, now try to read my post again and complete the ... part, starting with a 'but'.

7. Mar 15, 2012 #6
    Ok, I am seeing an example and a counterexample.

f={(1,1),(2,2)} and g={(1,1),(2,2),(3,2)}. Then f is one-to-one, g is not, and g°f={(1,1),(2,2)} is. Right? This works because the domain of g is not restricted to the image of f.

Also, f={(1,1),(2,2),(3,2)} and g={(1,1),(2,2)}. Then f is not one-to-one, g is, and g°f={(1,1),(2,2),(3,2)} is not.

8. Mar 15, 2012 #7
    Does this apply to the problem?

9. Mar 15, 2012 #8
    yes that is right, but the last part does not prove anything, only the first part is important

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook