Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If God DOES exist

1. Jul 25, 2003 #1

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...now I'm an agnostic, mind you, so I'm on nobody's side in the great ongoing PF God debates...

...but if God really does exist, I'd love to see the faces of all the hard core materialists when they met up with him. :wink:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2003 #2
    Yer darn tootin'. :wink:
  4. Jul 25, 2003 #3
    Or, maybe he would let them in on it "easily," as he has so far. :wink:
  5. Jul 25, 2003 #4
    Who said it would be god we fundamentalists end up seeing?
  6. Jul 25, 2003 #5
    how about the faces of all believers when they don't met him?

who says if God DOES exist you will met him????? (and please answer that...)
  7. Jul 25, 2003 #6

Science Advisor

Greetings !
    Well, there's a tiny little bit of a problem here.
    If God does exist and it would like to prove its existence
    to me without forcing me to accept this proof - how
    would it do it ? After all, God is supposed to be all powerfull
    which means that to prove its existence it would have
    to be capable of doing an infinite amount of things.
    "Before" this infinity is reached, the likely conclusion
    would still be that this is not God. :wink:

Live long and prosper.
  8. Jul 25, 2003 #7
    'Met up with him'? What a ridiculous phrase to use.
  9. Jul 25, 2003 #8

Yes, I would be quite shocked to find such a silly ontology (God) is true. Then I would be joining wuliheron proclaiming existence to be absurd.
  10. Jul 26, 2003 #9
    As an agnostic, would you be equally joyful to see the faces of the all the hard core religionists if they could be momentarily awakened just long enough to realize they had been living their lives in fantasy land, then out go the lights once more forever?
    Are you absolutely certain you’re agnostic? I ask because this “…I'd love to see all the faces…” thing is something I’ve seen a lot more often with believers than the undecided…
    …Some of the believers are quite impatient that a person should have to endure an entire 60 or 70 years before this happens, prefering to hasten the day, if you know what I mean.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2003
  11. Jul 26, 2003 #10
    Of course after death, what kind of faces would we have? The faces of spirits? Or, the faces of dead corpses in a box? Of course the latter is already a given, in which case we will at least have this much, the faces of dead corpses.

And yet if there were a spiritual side to it, how would our spiritual faces look? Hmm ... as the "embodiments" of what we truly are?

Or, lets say there wasn't a spiritual side, then I guess it doesn't really mean anything now does it? :wink:
  12. Aug 2, 2003 #11

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yeesh. It's kind of silly that people are compelling me to defend the logic of a post that was obviously not meant to be taken so seriously. Or maybe it wasn't so obvious, I dunno, but generally if I hear a joke that goes "so the devil walks into a bar" I don't put on a face of indignation and say "the devil in a bar? what a ridiculous phrase!"

Anyways, I meant no offense to anyone although it looks like I might have touched a nerve. I was just jabbing a little bit at the people who are disgusted with absolute belief while at the same time seeming to hold the equally untenable position of absolute disbelief.

And yes, I'm sure I'm agnostic, I was just playing on the words of the thread "what if there is no god". The effect of posting one's ideas to a message board is essentially to try to sway thoughts and belief towards one's own worldview; thus, perceiving an imbalance in a debate that I at least think should have no definitive answer OR attitude, I needled a little bit at the ruling majority. I think the struggling minority is just as misguided in asserting a definitive belief, but they're already on their heels here.
  13. Aug 2, 2003 #12
    It depends on which god or goddess shows up, doesn't it?
  14. Aug 2, 2003 #13
    Well I'm glad zero brought it up.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if we all met up with Zeus or Anubis?
  15. Aug 3, 2003 #14
    Ya and who says god is a man -didn't anyone see dogma?
  16. Aug 3, 2003 #15
    You would still have to atone for your lack of respect though. :wink:
  17. Aug 3, 2003 #16
    Not particularly. We'd all be doomed :wink: I'd just laugh my ass off at all the modern day people for tossing out the right one. But then again, that'd last only a short time as I'd be cast away.

Regardless of the hypotheticals, it is far more likely none of us will remember being alive.
  18. Aug 3, 2003 #17
    And so would you- for your belief in a false god:wink:
  19. Aug 3, 2003 #18
    Actually I think it's more of what you attribute to that god than anything else. You know, a rose by any other name?
  20. Aug 3, 2003 #19
    Assigning attributes to an unproven god or goddess(or team of them, for all we know)?
  21. Aug 3, 2003 #20
    So you're saying belief in a false god is better than no god at all ?
    hmm.. can't say I agree
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?