What will happen if GP1 fails to confirm GR and another model is favored?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gr
In summary: GP-B results prove to be inconsistent with GR and consistent with another theory then it will depend on the plausibility of that other theory, but I see a lot of momentum in the standard model so that it will require time to 'turn the ship around'. In summary, the next step would be to check and double check the results to see whether they lead to a revised model of gravity.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
If this mammoth effort does favour some other model what will the next step be?

Will every one try to find fault first?

Space news on Phys.org
wolram, what is GP1? :confused:

Garth

Last edited:
I think we can safely assume he means Gravity Probe B, and it is a pretty probing question.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
I think we can safely assume he means Gravity Probe B, and it is a pretty probing question.

Sorry it is obvious i get things mixed up, i did mean GPB.

First it is obvious that there will be room for dispute in the GP-B results. The unexpected errors are being modeled and subtracted from the data to give the signal, however I see that if the final result is inconsistent with GR to greater than a 3 [itex]\sigma[/itex] confidence level then plenty of people will question their error models.

It is interesting to see that the present results are inconsistent with GR to a 1 [itex]\sigma[/itex] confidence level as discussed here.

If the results prove to be inconsistent with GR and consistent with another theory then it will depend on the plausibility of that other theory, but I see a lot of momentum in the standard model so that it will require time to 'turn the ship around'.

Garth

Garth said:
First it is obvious that there will be room for dispute in the GP-B results. The unexpected errors are being modeled and subtracted from the data to give the signal, however I see that if the final result is inconsistent with GR to greater than a 3 [itex]\sigma[/itex] confidence level then plenty of people will question their error models.

It is interesting to see that the present results are inconsistent with GR to a 1 [itex]\sigma[/itex] confidence level as discussed here.

If the results prove to be inconsistent with GR and consistent with another theory then it will depend on the plausibility of that other theory, but I see a lot of momentum in the standard model so that it will require time to 'turn the ship around'.

Garth
Garth, i imagine that the heavens will fall down if GPB favours some model other than GR
I just need to know how much wiggle room there is, could the debate make the test a
nonsense?

After looking in the arxives i guess , CL means anything is possible, i mean if one takes all the above 95% CLs , to mean some thing.

wolram said:
Garth, i imagine that the heavens will fall down if GPB favours some model other than GR
I just need to know how much wiggle room there is, could the debate make the test a
nonsense?
The GP-B team claim that eventually (May 08) they will be able to reduce the error bars to within 1 mas to, I presume, the 3 [itex]\sigma[/itex] CL.

All the data and their error reduction modelling will be posted by NASA http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCatalog.do?sc=2004-014A&ds=* for anyone else to check.

Just a reminder, the present 1 [itex]\sigma[/itex] result represents an http://colloquia.physics.cornell.edu/11-12-2007/cornellpres_files/v3_slide0426.htm at the 68% confidence level.

Garth

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Garth, if this CL is reached what will the next step be?

wolram said:
Thank you Garth, if this CL is reached what will the next step be?
To see whether it is consistent with GR, or otherwise.

If inconsistent the next step will be to check and double check everything and see whether the confirmed results lead to a modified GR, or otherwise.

Wait and see, not long now (I hope). :rolleyes:

Garth

What is GP1 and GR in this scenario?

In this scenario, GP1 refers to General Principle 1, which is a fundamental principle in this scientific field. GR refers to General Rule, which is another important principle that guides scientific research.

Why is it important for GP1 to favor GR?

It is important for GP1 to favor GR because both principles are essential in ensuring the accuracy and validity of scientific research. GP1 ensures that research is conducted ethically and with integrity, while GR helps to ensure that results are reproducible and reliable.

What happens if GP1 fails to favor GR?

If GP1 fails to favor GR, it could result in biased or flawed research. This could lead to incorrect conclusions and potentially harm the progress of scientific knowledge.

How can scientists ensure that GP1 favors GR?

Scientists can ensure that GP1 favors GR by being diligent in following both principles in their research. This includes obtaining informed consent from participants, accurately reporting methods and results, and adhering to ethical guidelines.

Are there any exceptions where GP1 may not favor GR?

There may be rare exceptions where GP1 may not favor GR, such as in cases where following GR may cause harm to participants or the environment. In these cases, it is important for scientists to carefully consider the potential consequences and carefully document their decisions.