If gravity begets gravity, do gravitons emit gravitons?

In summary, Van Flandern argues that gravitons emit graviphotons. However, this theory has been refuted many times and is not accepted by the majority of scientists.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
if gravity begets gravity, do gravitons emit gravitons?

Physics news on Phys.org
VAN FLANDERN ARGUES.

One can even argue that these c-gravitons/graviphotons may also be the equivalent of the long postulated aether that light and electromagnetic waves propagate through.

He further demonstrates that gravity acts essentially instantaneously at a speed orders of magnitude greater than light speed, because the measured motion of distant celestial bodies is not affected by delays in the transport of light between them. Hence, gravity acts by a different mechanism than electromagnetic attraction/repulsion, which both act at the speed of light. He then argues that wave/particle duality is a consequence of the interaction between light-speed entities and non-light-speed entities. An implied consequence is that a Grand Unification of all four forces, weak, strong, electromagnetic, and gravitational, is not possible.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
this seems a controversy of what is accepted, ie speed
of gravity and forces can not be unified.

this is why the paragraph you quoted has the title: "New Concepts".

it seems VAN FLANDERN is not very respected, and very
much out of main stream science, so i have to disregard
his work for now.

http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Speed_of_gravity

it seems Sigh. Van Flandern has been refuted *many* times. Most notably by Steve Carlip (an expert in General Relativity, and one of the editors of Classical and Quantum Gravity, the leading journal in the field). His ``most recent rebuttal of van Flandern's nonsense is at
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/gr-qc/9909087.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you read everything including the paragraph with the title "Gravitons and Graviphotons?" you would know that graviphotons arent the creation of VAN FLANDERN but those of supergravity theory so i don't see how these two conflict.

if you read everything including the paragraph with the title "Gravitons and Graviphotons?" you would know that graviphotons arent the creation of VAN FLANDERN but those of supergravity theory so i don't see how these two conflict.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
very sorry sir.
if you would be so kind as to direct me to a reputed
author, i just wonder why you pointed me to a VAN FLANDERN
paper in the first place.

Better, have him show you a Supergravity site, or even one paper, that describes anihilationg gravitons as emitting "graviphotons".

sorry, but that's what i found about graviphotons in google.
btw, the paper isn't written by VAN FLANDERN but it is refernced to him.

LQG,
i think that "gavitphoton", is an outside bet in the
gravity theory, from what i have read it is to say
the least, speculative.

you asked and i replied with an answer if someone else has something on this do reply.

btw, graviphoton is predicted by supergravity theory so if you find them speculative then also is supergravity theory speculative (and i agree with you on that s.g.t s.s.t and l.q.g are all speculative that's why there are called theories).

thanks for your help LQG.

you asked and i replied with an answer if someone else has something on this do reply.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
yes please do.

1. What is the concept of "gravity begets gravity"?

The idea of "gravity begets gravity" suggests that the presence of gravity can create more gravity, leading to an endless loop or chain reaction of gravity.

2. How does this concept relate to gravitons?

Gravitons are theoretical particles that are believed to be carriers of gravity. If gravity begets gravity, it implies that gravitons themselves can emit gravitons, contributing to the continuous cycle of gravity.

3. Is there evidence to support the idea of "gravity begets gravity"?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to support this concept. It is still a theoretical idea, and more research and experimentation are needed to validate its existence.

4. How does this concept impact our understanding of gravity?

If proven to be true, the concept of "gravity begets gravity" could greatly impact our understanding of gravity and its effects on the universe. It could also potentially lead to advancements in our understanding of the fundamental forces of nature.

5. What are the implications of this concept for future research?

If this concept is proven, it could open up new avenues for research on gravity and the role of gravitons in the universe. It could also have implications for fields such as quantum mechanics and cosmology.