Is Gravity a Force or Effect? Exploring the Theories Behind Gravity's Nature

In summary, The force of gravity is perceived as the effect of curvature of spacetime, but some physicists believe that a quantum theory of gravity must exist that treats it as a fundamental interaction and has a force carrier particle called the graviton. However, this is still a topic of debate and it's not clear if gravity is an emergent phenomenon or fundamental.
nytmr24
If what we perceive as the force of gravity is really just the effect of curvature of spacetime, why do theorists
hypothesize the graviton as the force carrier for gravity? I thought that GR does away with the notion that gravity is a "force." So, is gravity a force or is it merely an effect?

Physics news on Phys.org
nytmr24 said:
I thought that GR does away with the notion that gravity is a "force."

GR is a classical theory, not a quantum theory. Many physicists believe that a quantum theory of gravity must exist that underlies GR (i.e., for which GR is the classical limit), and in such a theory, there should be a level of description at which gravity works similarly to the other three known fundamental interactions, i.e., it should have a "force carrier" particle, which is called the graviton.

Current QT stands on flat space-time. Natural extension to gravity is force particle as we deal with Newton's gravitation force up to 19th century.
However, after thorough study of QT and GM fusion, in future as you say we may be able to build QT on curved space-time background where gravitation is not perceived as force.

sweet springs said:
Current QT stands on flat space-time.

Not necessarily. Quantum field theory can be done in a curved background spacetime; for example, this is how Hawking radiation has been treated pretty much since its discovery.

sweet springs said:
in future as you say we may be able to build QT on curved space-time background

This isn't "in future". It's been done for several decades now. See above.

Yes it was introduced by Hawking, but not thoroughly as I hope.

Last edited:
PeterDonis said:
GR is a classical theory, not a quantum theory. Many physicists believe that a quantum theory of gravity must exist that underlies GR (i.e., for which GR is the classical limit), and in such a theory, there should be a level of description at which gravity works similarly to the other three known fundamental interactions, i.e., it should have a "force carrier" particle, which is called the graviton.
It could be just an effective description, similar to how we use phonons to describe sound waves. It depends on the question whether gravity is an emergent phenomenon or fundamental.

What is gravity and how does it work?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to attract each other. It works by creating a gravitational pull between two objects based on their mass and distance from each other.

Is gravity a force or an effect?

This is a debated question among scientists. Some argue that gravity is a force because it acts on objects and can cause motion. Others argue that gravity is an effect of the curvature of spacetime caused by massive objects.

Why do objects fall towards the Earth?

Objects fall towards the Earth because of the gravitational pull exerted by the planet. The mass of the Earth creates a large enough gravitational force to keep objects, including humans, on its surface.

What role does gravity play in the universe?

Gravity plays a crucial role in the universe. It not only keeps planets in orbit around stars, but it also holds galaxies together and controls the overall structure of the universe. Without gravity, the universe would be a very different and chaotic place.

Can gravity be shielded or cancelled out?

Currently, there is no known way to shield or cancel out gravity. However, scientists are constantly researching and experimenting with different theories and concepts, such as anti-gravity, to better understand and potentially manipulate the effects of gravity.