Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If I don't eat anything, I'll lose muscle and then fat, correct?

1. May 21, 2005 #1
    If I don't eat anything, I'll lose muscle and then fat, correct? But eventually I will lose muscle and then fat? If I want to lose weight- eg lots of muscle/fat-, then I can starve myself to achieve this goal, right?

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2005 #2

cronxeh

Gold Member

you will probably regain most of the weight you lose, plus a few more pounds

how much weight do you need to lose? There is a nice little cactus called Hoodia Gordonii which will aid you in your dietary 'starvation'

you can find it in various products - I recommend in a form of pills, but there are also commercial products like TrimSpa that sell it (much too expensive of course), or you can grow it yourself - the seeds are only 2-3 dollars off Ebay

4. May 21, 2005 #3
    then how are anorexic people/people who don't eat so thin if people who don't eat "will probably regain most of the weight you lose, plus a few more pounds"

5. May 21, 2005 #4

cronxeh

Gold Member

if there was a simple answer that a guy like me knew, who has no official background in question at hand, there wont be obesity in the United States

6. May 21, 2005 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, starving yourself if extremely unhealthy!! Especially when you go to the point where your body starts digesting its own muscle. Your heart is a muscle and it can be irrepairably damaged if you take it too far.

There are cases known of people who starved themselves. They stopped their starvation so that they would not die and they were given food, but their heart had grown too weak so they could not be helped anymore.

The best way to diet is to change your lifestyle, eat things that will support your body. You can consult a dietist and ask their opinion on weightloss and the associated diet, that is their profession.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?