Moving to UT-Austin for Physics: Is it Worth It?

• Thread starter Shackleford
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the pros and cons of attending UT-Austin versus the University of Houston for a physics degree. Some key factors mentioned are academics, location, and the overall college experience. The general consensus is that UT-Austin has a better reputation and offers a more desirable college atmosphere, but the cost difference between the two schools may be a consideration for some. Ultimately, it is recommended to visit both schools and make a decision based on personal preference. The conversation also briefly touches on the cost of tuition at UT-Austin, which is significantly lower for in-state students.
Shackleford
If I get accepted into UT-Austin, would it be worth it to move there rather than stay

at home and go to the University of Houston for Physics?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It depends. How do you feel about UT-Austin? I really don't want to say much, because I am graduating from UT-Austin this May. I'm obviously bias. For me, it was the right choice. I'm from Houston and was tempted by UH too.

What are key factors for you in picking a college?

Mine were location, academics, and the people there. Austin seemed like the better choice but I wouldn't have had a problem with UH either.

Last edited:
Don't take this the wrong way, but I would move from Houston to Austin even if I didn't get accepted to UT.

UT Austin is a good department. I don't know as much about Houston.

UT Austin has a great physics department. I don't know anything about Houston. I just know that you should not fall into the trap of choosing your school for all the wrong reasons-- proximity to home and financial aid (I only mention this one because too often I see students consider a mediocre school over a great one simply because of $ incentive not realizing that in the long run they would be better off at the better school).

The best thing to do (if you haven't already) is visit both schools and decide which you think has the better program, and which has the environment that you most like.

Living between Houston and Austin, I was met with a similar question. I was told (online) by a graduate student studying at MIT that UT-Austin has an excelent cosmology/astrophysics reputation. As for the other branches of physics he wasn't too sure.

That's second hand information, but from what he said UT-Austin is the way to go.

I'm from houston. Leave houston, go to UT.

You guys want to pay my housing? lol.

You definitely ought to go to UT...

1.) UT-Austin is much better academically than UH... not that UH is the worst out there, but UT is very good. Assuming you make it to graduation, a diploma from UT is much more valuable than a diploma from UH, and that's just kind of a fact of life.

2.) It's better to branch out beyond your home city; that's part of what college is all about, in my opinion...

3.) Austin is a much cooler college-town than Houston. Granted, Houston is bigger, so it kind of has more available, but Austin is well... much more "hip". Austin has one of the greatest live music scenes in the country; really great nature locations (hill country, enchanted rock); lots of students around your same age and similar interests, concentrated in a pretty small area (around UT and riverside)

and those are the main reasons I would say go to UT... plus, since you are in-state, your tuition will be around 10k per year, versus 25k per year for out-of-state students... so 10k might be more than you would pay at UH, but you will still have a huge discount and basically a fairly affordable college education.

Last edited:
Since we're talking about Universities in Texas, does anyone know how the University of Texas at Dallas stacks up against UT Austin and UH in terms of Physics?

mordechai9 said:
You definitely ought to go to UT...

1.) UT-Austin is much better academically than UH... not that UH is the worst out there, but UT is very good. Assuming you make it to graduation, a diploma from UT is much more valuable than a diploma from UH, and that's just kind of a fact of life.

2.) It's better to branch out beyond your home city; that's part of what college is all about, in my opinion...

3.) Austin is a much cooler college-town than Houston. Granted, Houston is bigger, so it kind of has more available, but Austin is well... much more "hip". Austin has one of the greatest live music scenes in the country; really great nature locations (hill country, enchanted rock); lots of students around your same age and similar interests, concentrated in a pretty small area (around UT and riverside)

and those are the main reasons I would say go to UT... plus, since you are in-state, your tuition will be around 10k per year, versus 25k per year for out-of-state students... so 10k might be more than you would pay at UH, but you will still have a huge discount and basically a fairly affordable college education.

I thought UT tuition was around $5000/year, or around $2500/semester.

Shackleford said:
I thought UT tuition was around $5000/year, or around $2500/semester.

No, I'm an engineering student at UT and my tuition is about $4,300 a semester. The natural science plan may be a couple hundred a semester less. The good news is that anything past 12 hours a semester is free. So you pay the same amount for 18 hours as you do for 12. They instituted this a few years ago to encourage students to finish their degree plans on time.

edit: http://www.utexas.edu/business/accounting/pubs/tf_flatsem.pdf" the tuition rate information for 2008-2009. Natural sciences are charged $4,219 a semester, and that includes all fees. My tuition went up. :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
huckmank said:
No, I'm an engineering student at UT and my tuition is about $4,300 a semester. The natural science plan may be a couple hundred a semester less. The good news is that anything past 12 hours a semester is free. So you pay the same amount for 18 hours as you do for 12. They instituted this a few years ago to encourage students to finish their degree plans on time.

edit: http://www.utexas.edu/business/accounting/pubs/tf_flatsem.pdf" the tuition rate information for 2008-2009. Natural sciences are charged $4,219 a semester, and that includes all fees. My tuition went up. :mad:

Damn.

Last edited by a moderator:
People at a lot of private colleges pay $30-40,000 per year... I think you might be worrying too much about the cost of UT versus U of H. 10k per year for UT is really reasonable, and you can get a lot of scholarships based on need and/or merit.

1. Is UT-Austin a reputable institution for studying physics?

Yes, UT-Austin has a highly ranked physics department and is known for its strong research opportunities and faculty. It is consistently ranked as one of the top universities in the country for physics.

2. What are the job prospects for physics graduates from UT-Austin?

UT-Austin has a strong network of alumni and connections with industry and research institutions, providing valuable job opportunities for physics graduates. The university also has a career center and resources for students to help them find employment after graduation.

3. What is the cost of living in Austin and how does it compare to other cities?

Austin has a lower cost of living compared to other major cities, making it an affordable option for students. The cost of living in Austin is slightly higher than the national average, but lower compared to cities like New York or San Francisco.

4. What research opportunities are available for physics students at UT-Austin?

UT-Austin has a wide range of research opportunities for physics students, including collaborations with national labs, opportunities for undergraduate research, and access to state-of-the-art facilities and equipment. The university also has a strong focus on interdisciplinary research, providing students with a well-rounded experience.

5. What is the overall academic environment like at UT-Austin for physics students?

The academic environment at UT-Austin is highly competitive and rigorous, but also supportive and collaborative. The faculty are renowned experts in their fields and the curriculum is designed to challenge and prepare students for their future careers in physics. There are also various resources and support services available for students to help them succeed academically.