1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If I have a question about a field I am researching is it ok to contact anyone who specialises in

  1. Oct 16, 2014 #1
    ... the subject by email?

    I'm currently researching sonoluminescence and I'm stuck on one particular thing, would it be ok to search the internet for someone researching in the field and email them?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2014 #2
    The best thing is to first meet them personally at some conference or something. Then you can always start with "Hello, we met at the local conference, I have a question regarding your research". But I would start looking for someone within your own organization, or find someone that knows someone. You can also look for published papers in your field of interest and contact the author, using "I read your paper" as an introduction. I also think it's best to be as to-the-point as possible.
  4. Oct 16, 2014 #3


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

    I have had people contact me out of the blue based on my papers. And I have done the same. So I think it's fine.

    You may not always get a response though.
  5. Oct 16, 2014 #4

    Vanadium 50

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

    Are you asking about the paper? Or about something general in the field? I think the former will be received better than the latter.
  6. Oct 16, 2014 #5
    Definitely true about the papers, however if there's no harm done I don't see why not doing either. Most researchers love to talk about their research.
  7. Oct 17, 2014 #6
    Thats great, thanks for the helpful responses!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Discussions: If I have a question about a field I am researching is it ok to contact anyone who specialises in