What should I do if I regret taking a Co-Op and it's not the career path I want?

In summary, the participant decided that this job is not the right path for their career and is looking for something else.
throwaway
I was worried that I will not find a job this summer, so I took the first offer I got. (freshmans and sophomores, please don't make the same mistake, evaluate all other possible actions)

But the more time I spend doing my job, I realize just how far away from what I intend to do this job actually is. Of course, I will finish this session that I am working during the summer, but I am thinking of what is best for my future and realized that this is not the career path that I want to take.

Any opinions and or suggestions are welcomed, especially older engineers who do a bit of recruiting and hiring.

*Co-Ops are voluntary at my school

Physics news on Phys.org
I did the same thing after my sophomore year. I did a summer of co-op, and at the end of it I realized that I wasn't learning anything relevant to my degree or intended career path and decided to end the co-op agreement. My employer understood and everything worked out fine.

throwaway said:
But the more time I spend doing my job, I realize just how far away from what I intend to do this job actually is. Of course, I will finish this session that I am working during the summer, but I am thinking of what is best for my future and realized that this is not the career path that I want to take.
That sounds fine to me. You have learned something valuable about what you don't want to do, without getting stuck with any long-term consequences. Now spend the rest of your time learning whatever there is to learn from being where you are.

You don't have any idea what your "career path" will actually be. All you know is what you hope it will be. So treat this as "learning stuff that might come in useful one day", and get the most out of it that you can. Maybe in 20 or 30 years time it will turn out to be the most useful stuff that you ever learned. The only certain way to find out if that is true or not is stick around for 20 or 30 years and see what happens.

Remember the Richard Feynman quote: "Any subject can be absolutely fascinating. if only you study it in enough detail".

AlephZero said:
That sounds fine to me. You have learned something valuable about what you don't want to do, without getting stuck with any long-term consequences. Now spend the rest of your time learning whatever there is to learn from being where you are.

You don't have any idea what your "career path" will actually be. All you know is what you hope it will be. So treat this as "learning stuff that might come in useful one day", and get the most out of it that you can. Maybe in 20 or 30 years time it will turn out to be the most useful stuff that you ever learned. The only certain way to find out if that is true or not is stick around for 20 or 30 years and see what happens.

Remember the Richard Feynman quote: "Any subject can be absolutely fascinating. if only you study it in enough detail".

Thanks guys, I will think about this more. But right now, I plan to finish this session and do as well as I possibly can, and after my midterm review, I will talk to my manager and hope he understand where i am coming from. I really don't want to burn any bridges or disrespect anyone.

any other suggestions are welcome. Id like to see it from an employer's point of view if anyone here hires undergrad engineer coops.

I understand the importance of making informed decisions and evaluating all possible options before committing to a career path. It is common for individuals to feel uncertain or regretful about their choices, especially when it comes to their career. In your situation, I would recommend taking a step back and reassessing your goals and interests.

Firstly, it is important to acknowledge that your current Co-Op experience may not align with your desired career path, but it is still a valuable learning opportunity. Use this experience to explore different aspects of the industry and gain new skills and knowledge. This will not only make you a more well-rounded candidate for future job opportunities, but it will also help you to better understand your strengths and interests.

Secondly, I encourage you to reach out to mentors or professionals in your desired field of work. They can provide valuable insights and advice on how to navigate your career path and make informed decisions. Additionally, consider attending career fairs, networking events, and informational interviews to gain a better understanding of the job market and available opportunities.

Lastly, do not be afraid to make a change if you feel that your current Co-Op experience is not the right fit for you. It is important to prioritize your long-term goals and happiness. Talk to your school's career services office or advisors for guidance on how to handle this situation professionally and respectfully.

In the future, I would also advise freshmen and sophomores to carefully research and evaluate their options before committing to a Co-Op or any other job opportunity. Consider your interests, skills, and goals, and choose an experience that aligns with them. Remember, it is never too late to change your career path and pursue your passions.

1. What is a Co-Op and how does it work?

A Co-Op (short for Cooperative Education) is a program offered by many universities and colleges that allows students to gain practical work experience in their field of study. It typically involves alternating periods of academic study with periods of paid work at a company related to the student's major. The duration of a Co-Op can vary, but a 3 session Co-Op means the student will work for three consecutive semesters.

2. What if I realize I made a mistake in choosing a Co-Op?

If you realize that you have made a mistake in choosing a Co-Op, your first step should be to speak with your academic advisor or Co-Op coordinator. They can help you explore your options and potentially switch to a different Co-Op position or cancel your Co-Op altogether.

3. Can I drop out of a Co-Op without any consequences?

Dropping out of a Co-Op may have consequences, depending on the policies of your university and the company you are working for. It is important to communicate with your advisor and the company as soon as possible to discuss your options and any potential consequences.

4. Will dropping out of a Co-Op affect my academic standing?

The impact of dropping out of a Co-Op on your academic standing will depend on the policies of your university and the specific Co-Op program. Some universities may allow you to return to your regular academic schedule, while others may require you to complete a certain number of credits or make up for the missed Co-Op session in order to graduate on time.

5. Can I switch to a different Co-Op position during my 3 session Co-Op?

It is possible to switch to a different Co-Op position during your 3 session Co-Op, but it will depend on the availability of other positions and the policies of your university and the companies involved. You should discuss your options with your advisor and the Co-Op coordinator as soon as possible if you are considering switching positions.