Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If I travel at the speed of light and have a mirror can i see my reflection? Thanks

1. Oct 23, 2014 #1
    If I travel at the speed of light and have a mirror can i see my reflection? Thanks
    Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2014 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

You cannot travel at the speed of light, so the question is invalid.

4. Oct 23, 2014 #3

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're moving very nearly the speed of light with respect to some things in our universe already! With respect to those protons moving around in the LHC at Cern, you are moving at 99.99999% the speed of light. So, can you see yourself in the mirror?

But as Drakkith said, you can't actually travel AT the speed of light.

5. Oct 23, 2014 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you not know why it is called relativity? You have to say you are traveling near the speed of light relative to some other object. But the mirror you are holding in your hand is motionless relative to you. If you can see yourself in a mirror when you are standing still then you can see yourself in a mirror when you are moving at high speed relative to something else.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook