Test the Speed of Light: Traveling Toward a Strobe Light

In summary, the answer to this question is that the flash rate will increase if you travel towards the strobe light. However, this does not mean that the light entering your eyes was entering faster than the speed of light.
AndyKeeble
Hello
If I travel toward a strobe light, will the flash rate appear to increase? If it does, would that then mean that the light entering your eyes was entering faster than the speed of light? If the strobe flash rate does not increase then this universe is stranger than I thought.
I have been thinking about this all day but can't think of any way to test it.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
AndyKeeble said:
Hello
If I travel toward a strobe light, will the flash rate appear to increase? If it does, would that then mean that the light entering your eyes was entering faster than the speed of light? If the strobe flash rate does not increase then this universe is stranger than I thought.
Thanks
The rate of flashes entering your eye will increase but they will all enter at c. If you travel fast enough they will be blue shifted but that happens whether the light is "flashes" or a continuous stream

AndyKeeble said:
Hello
Thanks
Yes, the flash rate will increase. You didn't ask, but the frequency of the light will increase by the same factor. This factor is called the "relativistic doppler shift factor". If you imagine there was some number - say a million - cycles of the EM radiation in the light pulse observed at rest, there would be the same number of cycles when you observed the same pulse while moving.. But the pulses would occur faster. So you would observe the same number of cycles in a pulse, each cycle would be shorter, and the length and separation of the pulses would be shorter.

Velocities don't add the way one would expect according to special relativity, so the speed of light would be equal to "c" in your frame. It would be traveling at the same speed as any other light, but the frequencies of the strobe and the light itself would be changed in the manner previously mentioned (shorter pulses of higher frequency).

The detailed mathematical description of what is happening is called the Lorentz transform, I've tried to explain what happens in common language.

Here's a spacetime diagram [time running upwards] that summarizes what is going on with the Doppler Effect.
Each diamond represents equal units of time on a standard [light-]clock carried by that worldline.

The source at rest broadcasts [in all directions] at the speed of light...periodically at 4-tick intervals, at events... A, B, meeting-event O, D, E, F...
You (traveling at (3/5)c) receive the broadcasts at the speed of light... on your worldline at A', B', meeting-event O, D', ...

As you approach, you receive broadcasts more frequently at 2-tick intervals ("blue shifted" light similar to "higher-pitched" for sound)
As you depart after the momentary meeting, you receive broadcasts less frequently at 8-tick intervals ("red shifted" light similar to "lower-pitched" for sound).

pF-Doppler-sourceAtRest.png

Imagine that source of waves approaches the observer with velocity c. This source oscillates with frequency f. Velocity of wave fronts is c also.

What would happen in „classical“ case? In classical case all wavefrons would gather straight in the front (on the nose) of the source and would instantly hit the observer. Observer would see frequency as increased to infinitely large value (blueshift of frequency).

In relativistic case velocity of source will never reach c.

Due to dilation of source‘s clock source will oscillate slower and slower as it‘s relative velocity approaches that of light. Thus, blueshift will always be „less blue“ than in classical case at time dilation factor (Lorentz factor). Measured frequency will tend to infinitely large value as velocity of source is closer to c.

Since motion is relative, observer may consider himself being „in motion“ but the source is „at rest“. In this case in classical case maximum observed frequency would be 2f. But, for observer it still tends to infinitely large value as velocity increase. Why? Because observer may consider that his own clock dilates gamma times (at Lorentz factor). Thus, he sees blueshift of frequency because he turns into „dawdler“ and perceives hitting him wavefrons as very frequent.

AndyKeeble said:
Hello
Thanks
It might help if you consider yourself stationary and the strobe light traveling toward you. You would still measure the flashes from the source to be traveling at c but each flash starts closer to you than the previous one, so the length (duration) of a flash, the spacing between successive flashes, and the wavelength of the light itself all get squeezed.

AndyKeeble said:
If the strobe flash rate does not increase
The strobe's emission rate actually decreases in your reference frame, if you start moving relative to the strobe (regardless of direction). But when that movement is towards the strobe, then you still receive the flashes more frequently (according to your clock).

Last edited:
Likes nitsuj

What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is a physical constant that is defined as approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. It is the fastest known speed in the universe and is denoted by the letter "c".

How is the speed of light measured?

The speed of light is typically measured using the distance and time method, where the distance traveled by light is divided by the time it takes to travel that distance. This method is also used in "Test the Speed of Light: Traveling Toward a Strobe Light" experiment.

What is "Test the Speed of Light: Traveling Toward a Strobe Light" experiment?

"Test the Speed of Light: Traveling Toward a Strobe Light" is an experiment that involves using a strobe light and a moving object to measure the speed of light. The experiment is based on the principle of time dilation, where the speed of light remains constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

Why is it important to test the speed of light?

The speed of light is a fundamental physical constant and is crucial in understanding many concepts in physics, such as relativity and electromagnetism. It also has practical applications, such as in telecommunications and navigation systems.

What are some potential sources of error in "Test the Speed of Light: Traveling Toward a Strobe Light" experiment?

Some potential sources of error in this experiment could include inaccuracies in the measurement of distance and time, variations in the speed of the moving object, and interference from external light sources. It is important to control these variables as much as possible to obtain accurate results.