1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If I won't be going to grad school, would a more specialized degree be a better choice?

1. Oct 25, 2014 #1
    Specifically, my school offers a physics b.s. with specialization in materials physics. right now i am listed as just a physics major but recently i have been considering most likely not going to grad school. If I want to go straight into the workforce in industry would a specialized degree be more marketable?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2014 #2
    I think so. By more specialization do you mean the materials physics specialization, or a different degree? What do you think that having "materials" on your degree will do for you that a "regular" physics degree wouldn't?

I think more important than what kind of physics degree would be getting an industry internship. (and perhaps changing majors)

4. Oct 25, 2014 #3
    Well, the materials physics degree allows one to select from a variety of ECE courses (while still graduating in 4 years because it doesn't require certain other physics courses) that would seem, at least to my untrained eye, to be more usable directly out from graduating.

5. Oct 25, 2014 #4
    Yea, I think they would be more usable. I'm skeptical how much more usable they would be though, and even more skeptical that the usefulness would be apparent to HR or other people doing the hiring. A couple classes isn't really a big deal either way. Do you have an industry you specifically think these classes might be useful in? Do you have an idea of what you can do after taking them that you couldn't do otherwise?

I still strongly recommend you do a internship in industry. Even if that means delaying graduating a bit.

6. Oct 26, 2014 #5
    I'm currently in a condensed matter research group on campus, do you think this would be helpful instead of the internship?

7. Oct 26, 2014 #6

analogdesign

Science Advisor

If you don't want to go to grad school, an internship in a company would be much more valuable than doing some research in a group on campus.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook