1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: If integral f(x) converge there is a c<1 that for all c<p<1 integral f^p(x) converge

1. Feb 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    f(x) positive and continuous in [a,[tex]\infty[/tex])
    prove of disprove:
    if [tex]\int_a^\infty f(x)dx[/tex] converge there is a 0<c<1 so that
    [tex]\int_a^\infty f(x)^p dx[/tex] converge for every c[tex]\leq[/tex]p[tex]\leq[/tex]1

2. Relevant equations
    every thing in calculus 1+2 no two vars ..

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well I think that there is ..
    But i have no clue on how to solve it....
    Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: if integral f(x) converge there is a c<1 that for all c<p<1 integral f^p(x) conve

I don't think it's true. Try find an example of an f(x) that just barely converges and f(x)^p diverges for all 0<p<1.

4. Feb 15, 2010 #3
    Re: if integral f(x) converge there is a c<1 that for all c<p<1 integral f^p(x) conve

Ok
    what about
    [tex]\frac{1}{xln^2(x)}[/tex]
    for every p<1
    [tex]\frac{1}{x^pln^{2/p}(x)} > \frac{1}{x}[/tex]

But i always have problem proving that for every p an z lim(x^p) > lim(ln^z(x))
    Can you help me with this?

5. Feb 15, 2010 #4

notice that you function is undefined at x=0 and the inequality you propose is incorrect for 0<x<1

6. Feb 15, 2010 #5

sorry it is completely incorrect

7. Feb 15, 2010 #6

i have a feeling it is true since f(x)^p depends continously on p. are you sure this is all the info?

8. Feb 15, 2010 #7

yes but I dont care about when 0<x<1 because its in a half closed section when f(X) is defined and continuous ,
    I only look at infinity, and in infinity ,

for every p<1

[tex]
    \frac{1}{x^pln^{2/p}(x)} > \frac{1}{x}
    [/tex]

9. Feb 15, 2010 #8

incorrect try x=3. the inequality is actually backwards. plus your function cannot include p. the result must hold for ALL p. since f is positive you can use the ration

10. Feb 15, 2010 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's a great choice! It would be enough to show that in the limit ln(x)<x^p for all p>0, wouldn't it? Just use l'Hopital on the limit of x^p/ln(x).

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  11. Feb 16, 2010 #10

Thank you very much dick..
    It's not really homework question,
    Its a example test question .
    This question really on my mind because it was really against my intuition ,
    And my usually my intuition is true ,(my problem is proving it)
    Can you supply another f(X) that is good?,
    Thank you.

12. Feb 16, 2010 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're welcome. 'Intuition' can go a little wrong when you are dealing with an 'infinite' part in the problem. Guess I don't have a ready stock of problems. You might scan through other forum posts looking for interesting problems. There are some in there. And feel free to help the poster if you've got a good idea on how to solve it.

13. Feb 16, 2010 #12

Sorry dick but I think you misunderstood me,
    I asked if you can give me another counter example beside this one I supplied?
    Thank you.

14. Feb 16, 2010 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nothing pops into my head. There's 1/(log(x)^n*x) for n>1. But that's just a variation on the same theme.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook