Can Forum Index Titles Show First Post Content on Hover?

• Thread starter Moonbear
  • Start date
In summary, it would be nice to see a feature that pops up a brief summary of the first post when you hover over a thread topic on the main index page.
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If it's not too much trouble...

Here's something that would be nice to see changed, if it doesn't require a ridiculous amount of effort to accomplish it (I can live without it, but would be nice to see added). You know how when you're in a forum and you hover the mouse pointer over a thread topic, it pops up with some of the content of the first post? When you're on the main index page, and you hover the mouse pointer over a thread topic, it just pops up and says something like, "Go to first thread in..." When I'm just roaming around the forum index and see a title that catches my eye in a forum I don't usually visit, it would be nice to get a pop up like I get when already in the forum, so I know if the thread really is something I'm interested in reading further. And, actually, it might be more useful when threads have rather generic sounding titles, but might contain really interesting information if I bothered to look.

Like I said, I can live without it. It hasn't killed me yet to follow the links and just enter the forum to read the first post; it just seems it would be a nice treat to get a more informative pop up to get a better sense of the topics under discussion in an unfamiliar forum. So, if Greg and/or Chroot are/is feeling really bored one day... :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this is a good idea, but since I've noticed the same feature in other forums, I suspect it is rather difficult to do something about it.

I'm no computer wiz, but I assume it has something to do with how forums and sub-forums are made:
Perhaps the actual text of a new thread is "private info" within the sub-forum, which cannot directly be accessed through the external forum? :confused:

arildno said:
I'm no computer wiz, but I assume it has something to do with how forums and sub-forums are made:
Perhaps the actual text of a new thread is "private info" within the sub-forum, which cannot directly be accessed through the external forum? :confused:

It might as well be magic and spells as far as I understand what goes on behind the scenes here. It might just be too hard to do (or maybe not possible at all). But, it's also possible nobody gave it much thought before, or maybe it's already on Greg's long list of things to do around here. We all do manage to keep him busy. :biggrin:

1. What does "If it's not too much trouble" mean?

"If it's not too much trouble" is a polite phrase used to ask for a favor or assistance without causing inconvenience or burden to the person being asked.

2. Is "If it's not too much trouble" a formal or informal request?

"If it's not too much trouble" can be used in both formal and informal situations. It is considered a polite and respectful way to ask for something.

3. How can "If it's not too much trouble" be used in a sentence?

"If it's not too much trouble, could you please help me carry these boxes?"

4. Can "If it's not too much trouble" be used in a negative way?

No, "If it's not too much trouble" is a positive and polite phrase used to make a request. It should not be used in a negative or sarcastic manner.

5. Is there a similar phrase to "If it's not too much trouble"?

Yes, there are other polite phrases that can be used to make a request such as "Could you please" or "Would you mind". However, "If it's not too much trouble" is a commonly used and well-understood phrase in English.