1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If K=|a><b| where |a> and |b>

1. Oct 1, 2005 #1
    if K=|a><b| where |a> and |b> are two vectors of the state space.
    I'm trying to show that K can always be written in the form K=gPQ where g is a constant and P and Q are projectors.
    this is what I get:
    K=|a><b|
    <a|b>K=<a|b>|a><b| multiplying by the number <a|b>
    <a|b>K=|a><a|b>|<b| inserting that number in between
    P=|a><a|
    Q=|b><b|
    g=<a|b>^-1
    so I proved if the vectors are not orthogonal, how to prove it when they are???? :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2005 #2

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Intuitively I'd have a hard time imagining how you should be able to do this!
    After all, what the original operator does, is to take a random vector, find its b component, and then reproduce an a component with the same length.
    What you did in the non-orthogonal case was in fact to use Thales' theorem: you found the b component, which has (because of the non-orthogonality) itself of course still a small a component ; so you re-projected on a, and adjusted for the loss (the angle between a and b).

With 3 operators, I can see a solution: you project first on b, then on something like (a+b) and then finally on b, adjusting for the losses. But I have a hard time imagining, with 2 projectors, how to do so. I'm not saying it is impossible, just that I don't intuitively see how to do so.
    You could also simply try to write down an equation, having each of the projectors to have as general a form as possible, like
    P = ( u|a) + v|b) ) (u*(a| + v*(b| ) etc... and see if you can find a condition that works out.

cheers,
    Patrick.

4. Oct 2, 2005 #3

CarlB

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Dear cire,

Your work is correct, and your comment that there is a problem when the vectors is orthogonal is also correct. If <a| and <b| are orthogonal, there is no possible way to solve the problem as stated.

Carl

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?