1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If K is a subgroup of G of order p^k, show that K is subgroup of H

1. Apr 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let |G| = (p^n)m where p is prime and gcd(p,m) = 1. Suppose that H is a normal subgroup of G of order p^n. If K is a subgroup of G of order p^k, show that K is subgroup of H.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Okay, I wonder if there is more I need to do, or if I need to prove they are finite. I feel like I am missing something...but here is what I got
    p^k has to be less than p^n because if p^k was bigger than p^n then p^k would not divide the order of G because p and m are relatively prime and K could not be a subgroup of G. The order of a subgroup must divide the order of the group.

Both H and K are subgroups of G, they both are closed under the same operation as G, and because n>k, p^k divides p^n and thus because K is closed under the operation of H and K's order divides the order of H, K must be a subgroup of H.

Thanks

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted