1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If K is contained in R contained in F and F is algebraic over K, show R is a field

1. Feb 18, 2012 #1
    Let [itex] K \subseteq F [/itex] be fields and let R be a ring such that [itex] K \subseteq R \subseteq F [/itex]. If F is algebraic over K, show that R is a field.

If F is algebraic over K, then every element of F is a root of some polynomial over K[x]. But since K is contained in R, every element of F is thus a root of some polynomial over R[x]. I want to show that every nonzero element of R has an inverse which would show that it is a field. The elements in K are obviously invertible so I need to show that any element in R that is not in K is also invertible. I am having trouble with this part and can't think of a way to show this. Can someone offer a hint or two in the right direction?

Help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2012 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: If K is contained in R contained in F and F is algebraic over K, show R is a fiel

Let a be a nonzero element of R. Here are two independent (but ultimately equivalent) hints to help you show that the inverse of a belongs to R.

Hint A: K(a)=K[a].

Hint B: Write down the inverse of a in F, using the fact that a is algebraic/K.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook