1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

IF/log question

1. Aug 16, 2008 #1
    show that y=x is one solution of the equation (1+x2)y''-2y'+2y=0 and determine a second solution

im up to the IF which i get as eintegral((2/x0-(2x/1+x2) as does my answer sheet but this when comes out as =(x2)/(1+X2) i am getting confused with how to get here as i would of thought i would i end up with logs but how do i get logs from this with a 2 and a 2x in front? step by step please someone

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

eintegral((2/x-(2x/1+x2)

= e2logx - log(1+x2) + c

Then use elogy = y. :smile:

4. Aug 17, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Have you copied the problem correctly? You say that you are to show that y= x is a solution of (1+ x2)y"- 2y'+ 2y= 0 and that is not true: if y= x, then y'= 1 and y"= 0 so the equation becomes (1+ x2)(0)- 2(1)+ 2x which is NOT 0.

5. Aug 17, 2008 #4
    sorry its -2xy' not -2y'

6. Aug 17, 2008 #5
    does e2lnx - ln(1+x2) + c go to 2ln|x/1+x|

7. Aug 17, 2008 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nooo …

that's e2lnx e- ln(1+x2) ec,

= (elnx)2 e- ln(1+x2) ec :smile:

8. Aug 17, 2008 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, you are given (1+ x2)y"- 2xy'+ 2y= 0 and asked first to show that y= x is a solution and then find another (independent) solution.

I see no reason to find an integrating factor (which apply to first order equations, not second order, anyway) here- you are not asked to solve the equation "from scratch". If y= x, then y'= 1 and y"= 0 so your equation becomes (1+x2)(0)- 2x(1)+ 2x= 0 which is true. Yes, y= x is a solution.

Now look for another solution of the form y= xu(x). Then y'= xu'+ u and y"= xu"+ 2u'. Putting that into the equation, (1+ x2)(xu"+ 2u')- 2x(xu'+ u)+ 2xu= (x+ x3)u"+ (2+ 2x2)u'- 2x2u'- 2xu+ 2xu= x(1+x2u"+ 2u'= 0.

Let v= u' so the equation becomes x(1+x2)v'+ 2v= 0. Then v'= 2v/(x(1+x2)) and that is a separable differential equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?