Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If money won't make you happy

1. Mar 5, 2013 #1
    Then what's the point in going to college?
    I mean obviously you need to support yourself and I know for sure if I don't finish my degree I won't be able to... it's just that... I thought the whole point in furthering your education as much as you can was just that... to make yourself more competitive, get a better job and make more money...

???

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2013 #2
    College isn't about money, it's about furthering your education. Do studies show you can get a better job with a college degree? Yup. Should you be going to college just so you can get a better job? No. They have trade schools for that.

If you're going to college just to make money, just drop out and go become a plumber, look up how much a plumber make after being in the market for 5-7 years. Plus, plumbers are always in demand as society continually needs pipes fixed :), so there is that for job security.

4. Mar 5, 2013 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Of course money can make you happy, that's not even the saying, which is, just a saying.

Of course getting a degree gives you a competitive edge, which can result in a better job, and allow you to make more money.

This thread is pointless. If you don't feel there is a point in staying in college, that's a decision you need to make, we can't know or fix what's going on inside your head.

Stop and think about the alternative to getting a college degree. Being a dropout. You think that's going to improve your chances at being employed?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook