If Neutrinos are majorana particles, does this mean lepton number is not conserved?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between neutrinos as majorana particles and the conservation of lepton number in particle reactions. It also explores the possibility of the weak interaction favoring matter over antimatter, and the violation of C and CP symmetry in the weak interaction. The concept of neutrinoless double beta decay is also mentioned as an example of this violation.
Helena Wells
If neutrinos are majorana particles does this mean that lepton number is not conserved in particle reactions? And I only noticed neutrinos are only produced when the decay of a particle to some other particles is carried by the W bosons ( weak interaction ).

Is it possible the weak interaction 'prefers' matter over antimatter somehow just like it prefers left handed particles and right handed antiparticles?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If. Conflicting unverifiable theories. I prefer theories that fit empirical results. Some studies postulated neutrinos oscillated between particle and antiparticle which would make it a Dirac Fermion not Majorana Fermion. I don't see why Lepton number changes since it is still a Fermion
"God did it" is just as verifiable as any theory out there explaining the preponderance of matter. As far as tested, there is no difference in the magnitude of matter or anti-matter properties that would advantage one over the other.

Helena Wells said:
If neutrinos are majorana particles does this mean that lepton number is not conserved in particle reactions?

Sure, neutrinoless double beta decay would be the simplest example that comes to mind and is something actively looked for in experiments.

Helena Wells said:
Is it possible the weak interaction 'prefers' matter over antimatter somehow just like it prefers left handed particles and right handed antiparticles?

To put it in more technical terms, the weak interaction violates C and CP symmetry, yes.

Likes vanhees71
Dr.AbeNikIanEdL said:
Sure, neutrinoless double beta decay would be the simplest example that comes to mind and is something actively looked for in experiments.
To put it in more technical terms, the weak interaction violates C and CP symmetry, yes.
I am not sure if weak interaction prefers matter over antimatter but I am sure it prefers left handed particles over right handed particles and right handed antiparticles over left handed antiparticles.

I don't understand how that is a response to what I wrote...

1. What are majorana particles?

Majorana particles are a type of elementary particle that are their own antiparticles. This means that they have the same properties as their antiparticles, such as mass and electric charge.

2. How are neutrinos related to majorana particles?

Neutrinos are a type of majorana particle. This means that they are their own antiparticles and have the same properties as their antiparticles.

3. What is lepton number conservation?

Lepton number conservation is a fundamental principle in particle physics that states that the total number of leptons (such as electrons and neutrinos) in a system must remain constant in any particle interaction.

4. How does the discovery of majorana neutrinos affect lepton number conservation?

If neutrinos are indeed majorana particles, it would mean that they violate lepton number conservation. This is because majorana particles are their own antiparticles, so the total lepton number can change when a neutrino interacts with itself.

5. What are the implications of lepton number non-conservation?

If lepton number is not conserved, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the laws of physics. It would suggest that there are new interactions and symmetries that we have yet to discover, and could potentially lead to a better understanding of the fundamental forces of the universe.