Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If Neutrinos have mass.

1. Oct 18, 2015 #1
    The Nobel Prize in Physics 2015 was awarded jointly to Takaaki Kajita and Arthur B. McDonald "for the discovery of neutrino oscillations, which shows that neutrinos have mass" So I was wondering if they have mass how fast are they traveling?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As for anything with mass, this depends on their kinetic energy. In most cases, the neutrino mass is very small compared to the energy, which makes them ultra relativistic, i.e., they travel at speeds very close to the speed of light.

4. Oct 19, 2015 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If I remember correctly, the neutrinos detected at OPERA (after ~700km of flight) are expected to be less than the diameter of a proton (10-15m) behind light in vacuum.

5. Oct 19, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Easy to check. The average neutrino energy in OPERA is roughly 17 GeV, we also have that
    $$
    1-v = 1- \frac pE \simeq \frac{m^2}{2E^2}.
    $$
    With an upper mass bound of order 1 eV, this would mean a lag of roughly 700 km * (1.7 * 10-21), which evaluates to something surprisingly close to 10-15 m ...

6. Oct 19, 2015 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

For a solar p-p neutrino with E = 400 keV and mc2 = 1 eV, and a flight distance of 93 million miles (sun to earth), I get a lag of about 0.5 m.

7. Oct 19, 2015 #6
    How much is the lag from neutrinos emitted by gamma ray bursts?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook