If one wanted to become a theoretical Physcist

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theoretical
In summary, the conversation discusses the role of mathematics in theoretical physics and whether it is better for a future theoretical physicist to pursue a PhD in pure mathematics or physics. The speakers suggest that a strong understanding of both subjects is important and recommend looking into universities with active departments in both mathematics and physics. They also mention some helpful resources for those interested in string theory.
pivoxa15
There is so much mathematics in theoretical physics these days such as string theory that it may be hard to distinguish mathematicians from theoretical physicst, although this lack of distinction applied to Newton and others as well.

My question is would you recommand an (average level intelligent) future theoretical physicst to do a Phd in pure mathematics (related to physics such as topology) and go back to physics once the mathematics has been mastered. Or do a Phd in physics and pick up the higher level mathematics such as Topology, abstract algebra etc

Considering that this person is not a genius than I presume that the former (Phd in math) is a better choice since it is much harder to learn higher level mathematics by one self compared with picking up a physics textbook without any fear of the mathematics in it and ready to absorb all the physics inside. But I could be wrong. Any suggestions.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Check out this site from Nobel laureate Gerardus t'Hooft

regards
marlon

Most of the theoretical physicists at my university are actually in the maths department. But it depends on what you want to do with it that matters

In my opinion,...

wherever you go should be strong and active (especially regarding seminars) in both mathematics and physics.

(Depending of where you study, it seems "theoretical physics" is done in either "physics" departments, as one would expect, or in "applied mathematics" departments, like http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/ )

if your real goal is physics, I'd choose a physics path supplemented by mathematics. I would suggest the reverse if you had a very specific problem in mind and felt that a math path would teach you what you really needed to know for that specific problem.

If you are interested in string theory, Amanda Peet's page may be helpful
http://www.physics.utoronto.ca/~peet/home/straightdope.html .
There's also Warren Siegel's entertaining pages
http://insti.physics.sunysb.edu/~siegel/prep.html
http://insti.physics.sunysb.edu/~siegel/curriculum.html .

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What education or degree is required to become a theoretical physicist?

To become a theoretical physicist, one typically needs to have a PhD in Physics. This usually involves completing undergraduate and graduate coursework in physics, as well as conducting original research in a specific area of theoretical physics.

2. What skills are necessary to become a successful theoretical physicist?

Some important skills for a theoretical physicist include strong mathematical abilities, critical thinking skills, problem-solving skills, and the ability to think abstractly. It is also important to have a deep curiosity about the universe and a passion for understanding its fundamental laws.

3. How long does it take to become a theoretical physicist?

Becoming a theoretical physicist can take anywhere from 8-10 years, depending on the length of time it takes to complete undergraduate and graduate studies, as well as the time spent conducting research for a PhD dissertation.

4. What type of work does a theoretical physicist typically do?

A theoretical physicist conducts research and develops mathematical models to explain and predict the behavior of physical systems. This may involve studying the fundamental laws of nature, exploring new theories, or applying existing theories to real-world problems.

5. What are some potential career paths for a theoretical physicist?

Many theoretical physicists work in academia, conducting research and teaching at universities. Others work in research and development for government agencies or private companies. Some may also pursue careers in data science, finance, or engineering, using their strong analytical and problem-solving skills in a variety of industries.