Calculating P'(1) for p(x)=f(x^3)

• Thread starter Willian93
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves finding the derivative of a composite function, p(x) = f(x^3), and substituting 1 for x. The correct approach would be to use the chain rule and know the functional form of f(x).
Willian93

Homework Statement

if p(x)= f(x^3), find P'(1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

can i do the derivative of x^3 is 2x^2, then substitute to get f(2x^2)?, then substitute 1 for x?

Physics news on Phys.org

Willian93 said:

Homework Statement

Are both p's supposed to have the same case here (i.e. are they the same symbol representing the same function?) If not, then this question doesn't make much sense.

Willian93 said:
can i do the derivative of x^3 is 2x^2, then substitute to get f(2x^2)?, then substitute 1 for x?

No, not quite. If I understand the problem right, then what you have is a composite function, and you need to use the chain rule, and you need to know what the functional form of f(x) is. Is f(x) given?

One way of looking at it: p(x) = f(g(x)) where g(x) = x3. Hence, a composite function.

Another equivalent way to look at it: f(x3) means, "pass x3 as an argument into the function f." In other words, p(x) is the function you get when you pass u = x3 as an argument into the function f(u), where I have used a different symbol for the argument passed into f in order to be more explicit.

Edit: Those two ways of looking at it are not really different at all, since in the latter case, I just defined a new variable u = g(x) = x3. But I hope that the wording/explanation helps you to understand what is going on.

Also, the derivative of x^3 is not 2x^2.

Willian93 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

No. The chain rule says that the derivative of f(g(x)) is f'(g(x))g'(x). (And, as Cepheid said, the derivative of x^3 is NOT "2x^2".)

HallsofIvy said:
(And, as Cepheid said, the derivative of x^3 is NOT "2x^2".)

Actually, Char. Limit said that. It was a good catch...

1. What is the formula for finding the derivative of a function?

The formula for finding the derivative of a function is f'(x) = lim(h->0) [f(x+h) - f(x)]/h. This is known as the definition of the derivative.

2. What does P'(1) represent?

P'(1) represents the derivative of the function P(x) at x=1. In other words, it is the slope of the tangent line to the graph of P(x) at the point (1, P(1)).

3. How do you find the derivative of a function that is defined by a composition of two functions?

To find the derivative of a function that is defined by a composition of two functions, we use the chain rule. The chain rule states that if y=f(g(x)), then y' = f'(g(x)) * g'(x).

4. Why is it important to find the derivative of a function?

Finding the derivative of a function is important because it tells us the rate of change of the function at a specific point. This can be useful in determining the slope of a curve, the velocity of an object, or the growth rate of a population.

5. How do you find the derivative of a function that is defined by a polynomial?

To find the derivative of a polynomial function, we use the power rule. The power rule states that if y = ax^n, then y' = nax^(n-1). In other words, we multiply the coefficient by the exponent and decrease the exponent by 1.