Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If photons had S=0, not 1, what changes?

1. Feb 7, 2005 #1
    If photons have S=0, not 1, what changes?

If photons were realized to have Spin=0, then what would have to change?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How about HALF OF THE STANDARD MODEL...??How about ALL ELECTROMAGNETISM AT CLASSICAL LEVEL...??

Daniel.

P.S.I think QCD would be unaffected.Same with GR.

4. Feb 8, 2005 #3
    If you accept that photons can have spin 1,0,-1. Then your photon cannot be massless. The fact that a photon has NO spin = 0 has to do with the photonmass being equal to zero.

Keep in mind that those 1,0 and -1 values are not just the spin. They are the projection of the spin onto some axis (like the z-axis). The quantumnumber [tex]s_{z} = (+/-)s, (+/-)s-1, ..., 0[/tex] is the projection of s onto the z-axis.

marlon

5. Feb 8, 2005 #4
    If I read correctly, you've written that photons are currently defined to have spin = 0. The nice chart made by the SLAC people list the Photon as having a Spin = 1.

6. Feb 8, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's your problem.You didn't read correctly.You interpreted in an incorrect way the words written by Marlon... :rolleyes:

Daniel.

7. Feb 8, 2005 #6

Dextercioby is right. You did not read my post correctly. I said the exact opposite of what you are saying right here. Photons do NOT have spin 0

marlon

8. Feb 8, 2005 #7
    That's exactly why I asked for clarification. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?