Proving if R1 \ R2 is Transitive or Not

In summary, R1 \ R2 is the set difference between two relations, R1 and R2. A relation is transitive if, for any elements a, b, and c, if a is related to b and b is related to c, then a is also related to c. To prove if R1 \ R2 is transitive, you must show that for any elements a, b, and c in R1 \ R2, if a is related to b and b is related to c, then a is also related to c. A counterexample is a specific case where the given statement or property does not hold. R1 \ R2 can only be either transitive or not transitive. It cannot be
IntroAnalysis

Homework Statement

Suppose R1 and R2 are relations on A. Therefore, R1 [itex]\subseteq[/itex]A X A
and R2 [itex]\subseteq[/itex]A X A

Homework Equations

Let (x, y) and (y, z) [itex]\in[/itex]R1. Then since R1 is transitive, xR1y, and
yR1z implies xR1z.

Does R1\R2 mean: (x,y) [itex]\in[/itex]R1 [itex]\wedge[/itex] (x,y) [itex]\notin[/itex]
R2?

The Attempt at a Solution

Any suggestions? I am losing what a relation R1 minus R2 means to prove or disprove that it is transitive?

Physics news on Phys.org

IntroAnalysis said:

Homework Statement

Suppose R1 and R2 are relations on A. Therefore, R1 [itex]\subseteq[/itex]A X A
and R2 [itex]\subseteq[/itex]A X A

Homework Equations

Let (x, y) and (y, z) [itex]\in[/itex]R1. Then since R1 is transitive, xR1y, and
yR1z implies xR1z.

Does R1\R2 mean: (x,y) [itex]\in[/itex]R1 [itex]\wedge[/itex] (x,y) [itex]\notin[/itex]
R2?

The Attempt at a Solution

Any suggestions? I am losing what a relation R1 minus R2 means to prove or disprove that it is transitive?

So [itex](x,y)\in R_1\setminus R_2[/itex] means [itex](x,y)\in R_1[/itex] and [itex](x,y)\notin R_2[/itex].

So, you must prove that if [itex](x,y)\in R_1\setminus R_2[/itex] and [itex](y,z)\in R_1\setminus R_2[/itex], then [itex](x,z)\in R_1\setminus R_2[/itex].

Try to prove it directly. If you're unable to, then try to find a counterexample.

Let arbitrary (x, y) and (y,z) [itex]\in[/itex] R1\R2. This is equivalent to
(x, y) [itex]\in[/itex] R1 [itex]\wedge[/itex] (x, y)[itex]\notin[/itex] R2 and
(y, z) [itex]\in[/itex] R1 [itex]\wedge[/itex] (y, z)[itex]\notin[/itex] R2.

So (x, y) and (y, z) [itex]\in[/itex]R1. Because R1 is transitive, (x, z) [itex]\in[/itex]R1.

Since (x, y) [itex]\wedge[/itex] (y, z) [itex]\notin[/itex]R2, then (x, z) [itex]\notin[/itex]R2.

Therefore, (x, z) [itex]\in[/itex]R1\R2. Since (x,y) and (y,z) were arbitrary elements of R1\R2, then if R1 and R2 are transitive, then R1\R2 must be transitive.

IntroAnalysis said:
Since (x, y) [itex]\wedge[/itex] (y, z) [itex]\notin[/itex]R2, then (x, z) [itex]\notin[/itex]R2.

Why??

I had my doubts about this, but I was thinking if (x, y) [itex]\notin[/itex]R2 [itex]\wedge[/itex] (y, z)[itex]\notin[/itex]R2, since R2 is transitive, then (x, z) cannot be an element of R2.

But I now think this is incorrect. Can I just say since (x, z) is [itex]\in[/itex] R1/R2, by definition it is [itex]\notin[/itex]R2?

IntroAnalysis said:
Can I just say since (x, z) is [itex]\in[/itex] R1/R2

No, because that is exactly what you need to prove!

Maybe you should start looking for a counterexample.

Counterexample. Let A = {1,2,3}
Let R1 be the identity relation, iA. iA is transitive. R1 = {(1,1),(2,2),(3,3)}

Let R2 be the relation, R2 = {(x,y)[itex]\in[/itex]A X A l x [itex]\leq[/itex]y}
R2 = {(1,1), (1,2), (2,2), (2,3), (3,3)}. R2 is also transitive.

Then R1\R2 = Empty set.

I don't believe that the empty set could be transitive. (?) If true, then this would be a
counterexample.

Your R2 is not transitive: it misses (1,3).

Also the empty set is trivially transitive: indeed, for each (x,y) and (y,z) in the emptyset (there is no such x,y, and z!), we have that (x,z) is in there. So the condition is vacuously true.

Thanks for your patience. I think I finally understand "vacuously" and "trivially" in regards to meeting the definition of transitive.

If R2 and R2 are transitive, must R1\R2 be transitive? No.
Counterexample: A = {1, 2, 3} and R1 = {(1,2), (2,3), (1, 3)} and R2 = {(1, 3)}.
R1 is transitive and R2 is transitive (vacuously).

Then, R1\R2 = {(1,2), (2,3)}. Therefore, R1\R2 is not transitive because it does not include
(1, 3).

Very good! That is indeed a counterexample!

1. What is R1 \ R2?

R1 \ R2 is the set difference between two relations, R1 and R2. It consists of all the elements in R1 that are not in R2.

2. What does it mean for a relation to be transitive?

A relation is transitive if, for any elements a, b, and c, if a is related to b and b is related to c, then a is also related to c.

3. How do you prove if R1 \ R2 is transitive or not?

To prove if R1 \ R2 is transitive, you must show that for any elements a, b, and c in R1 \ R2, if a is related to b and b is related to c, then a is also related to c. If you can find a counterexample where this is not true, then R1 \ R2 is not transitive.

4. Can R1 \ R2 be both transitive and not transitive?

No, R1 \ R2 can only be either transitive or not transitive. It cannot be both at the same time.

5. What is a counterexample in relation to proving transitivity?

A counterexample is a specific case where the given statement or property does not hold. In the context of proving transitivity, it is an example where the elements a, b, and c do not follow the rule that if a is related to b and b is related to c, then a is also related to c.