If smoking weren't bad for you

• Thread starter Richard87
  • Start date
russ_watters
Mentor
The phrase about nails in coffins (as it was written in the late 1700's by Wolcot) had nothing to do with cigarettes or even tobacco.
I think you missed the point. It doesn't have to have been created for cigarettes to later be applied to them. The phrase was created to be about something being unhealthy, therefore it was later applied to cigarettes.

Pythagorean
Gold Member
I think you missed the point. It doesn't have to have been created for cigarettes to later be applied to them. The phrase was created to be about something being unhealthy, therefore it was later applied to cigarettes.

I think you missed the point. Cyrus was claiming that because the phrase was made in the late 1700's that they knew cigarettes were bad for you in the late 1700's. But since the phrase had nothing to do with cigarettes in the late 1700's.... you see?

The phrase about nails in coffins (as it was written in the late 1700's by Wolcot) had nothing to do with cigarettes or even tobacco.

Peter Pindar (John Wolcot): Expostulatory Odes, Ode xv. This is the whole ode:
"Care to our coffin adds a nail, no doubt,
And every grin so merry draws one out."

My interpretation is that if we worry about or death ("care to our coffin"), we come closer to it ("adds a nail"). It seems to be a statement about anxiety and worry being unhealthy. And the second line is obviously the corollary.

I agree---and would add: "statement about anxiety and worry" about death/the end--

if the two line were reversed:

"And every grin so merry draws one out."
"Care to our coffin adds a nail, no doubt,"

"every grin so merry" takes a nail out (living life with laughter)
so, adding one nail (opposite of draws one) would need the opposite of "every grin so merry"--is 'not happy'/depressed about life/looking toward the end

ideasrule
Homework Helper
"Care to our coffin adds a nail, no doubt,"

Means: Care (stress) indisputably adds a nail to your coffin.

"And every grin so merry draws one out"

Happiness draws a nail out.

Would virtually everyone be a smoker?

Are fruits and veggies bad for you? NO!

Is exercise bad for you? NO!

~Then why do we have so many people in the world that don't do either of them? Oh yeah, people are lazy... for the most part, and like to over eat.

Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Smoking is harmless as long as you dont inhale.

radou
Homework Helper
Smoking is harmless as long as you dont inhale.

I'm not so sure about that - you're still increasing the risk of several types of oral cancer.

Latest report by doctors say that life is the leading cause of death.

After more than fourty years of smoking I gave it up.I'm now on day 28 and feeling good.Sorry,I just popped in to boast.:wink::biggrin::biggrin:

turbo
Gold Member
After more than fourty years of smoking I gave it up.I'm now on day 28 and feeling good.Sorry,I just popped in to boast.:wink::biggrin::biggrin:
Good for you!!