Is the Speed of Light Affecting Relativistic Phenomena?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the speed of light and the visibility of relativistic phenomena. The original speaker believes that if the speed of light were smaller, these phenomena would be less obvious. However, their reasoning is incorrect as the effects of relativity would actually be more conspicuous with a smaller speed of light. The conversation ends with a recommendation for further reading on the topic.
asdf1
if the speed of light were smaller than it is, shouldn't relativistic phenomena be less conspicuous than it is? the smaller the speed, the closer it should be to Newton mechanics...
however my textbook says that it shoud be more conspicuous...
does anybody know what's wrong with my reasoning?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well what is your reasoning?

You seem to be mixing up the speed limit of something and somethings actual speed.

my reasoning is that relativistic phenomena should be less obvious if the speed of light were less than it is...

If the speed of light would be 10 000 m/s, the relativistic effects should be MORE obvious than they are now, because it would be easier to achieve relativistic speeds.

asdf1, that's a conclusion, not a reasoning

@@a
ok, i think i got messed up~
thanks for correcting! :)

You might enjoy reading by George Gamow.

Last edited by a moderator:
asdf1 said:
the smaller the speed, the closer it should be to Newton mechanics...
It should be "the smaller the speed relative to the speed of light, the closer it should be to Newton mechanics"...and this way of stating it makes it clearer why the effects of relativity would be more conspicuous if the speed of light were lower (although as this page points out, the idea of changing a dimensionful constant like the speed of light may not be very meaningful).

thank you! :)

What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in physics, denoted by the letter c. In a vacuum, it is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

What would happen if the speed of light was slower?

If the speed of light was slower, it would have a significant impact on the laws of physics. Time and space would be affected, and the universe as we know it would look very different.

How would a slower speed of light affect our daily lives?

A slower speed of light would have a minimal impact on our daily lives. It would only be noticeable in extreme cases, such as when traveling at speeds close to the speed of light or in highly precise scientific experiments.

Is it possible for the speed of light to change?

Currently, it is believed that the speed of light is a constant and cannot be changed. However, there are some theories and experiments that suggest it may have been different in the early universe.

What would be the consequences for the universe if the speed of light was slower?

If the speed of light was slower, it would affect the structure and expansion of the universe. It could also change the fundamental forces that govern the behavior of particles and matter, leading to a very different universe than the one we currently observe.