Has String Theory's Mistakes Led to Advancements in Physics and Mathematics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the contributions of string theory in other areas of physics and mathematics, such as the use of string theory methods in calculating processes in the Standard Model and the potential for string theory to be experimentally falsified. The conversation also mentions the Fields medal received by Ed Witten for his work in string theory and the possibility of finding other contributions in the future.
Beer w/Straw
... due to whatever. What has the effort provided besides showing that the universe doesn't work a certain way? Assuming it has aided in other areas of physics and mathematics. Any examples?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Beer w/Straw said:
... due to whatever. What has the effort provided besides showing that the universe doesn't work a certain way? Assuming it has aided in other areas of physics and mathematics. Any examples?

Thanks.

I'll have to leave it to others to provide details but it is my understanding that "Assuming it has aided in other areas of physics and mathematics" is not an assumption for math, it is a fact that string theory has advanced study/knowledge in some areas of math.

Methods developed in string theory can be used to calculate processes in the Standard Model, for example.

If string theory were experimentally falsified, that would be a huge contribution of string theory!

atyy said:
If string theory were experimentally falsified, that would be a huge contribution of string theory!

Contribution to what? I'd say this would be a huge achievement of experimental physics.

martinbn said:
Contribution to what? I'd say this would be a huge achievement of experimental physics.

I imagine the role of the theorist as finding out the space of possible theories consistent with previous data, and suggesting ways of ruling out regions of that space. I think finding out possible theories that may turn out to be wrong is an important part of theory.

atyy said:
I imagine the role of the theorist as finding out the space of possible theories consistent with previous data, and suggesting ways of ruling out regions of that space. I think finding out possible theories that may turn out to be wrong is an important part of theory.

That was specifically excluded. He asked about other contributions.

Beer w/Straw said:
When it references a university, is it a very critical peer review?

It's a review. So far as I know, its content is non-controversial. That is, string theory skeptics such as Penrose or Smolin would not dispute any significant aspect of this review (of mathematical contributions of the string theory program).

Ed Witten got the Fields medal, that would be an example.

So I guess I answered my own question, but it would be cool if there were more.

Why doesn't my answer qualify?

martinbn said:
Why doesn't my answer qualify?

Monstrous moonshine and no-ghost theorem are two different wiki pages.

It was awkward.

1. What is string theory and why is it important?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to reconcile the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It proposes that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not particles, but one-dimensional "strings" that vibrate at different frequencies and give rise to all the particles and forces we observe. It is important because it has the potential to provide a unified understanding of the fundamental laws of nature.

2. What are the main criticisms of string theory?

Some of the main criticisms of string theory include its lack of testable predictions, its reliance on complex mathematical equations, and the fact that it has not yet been experimentally proven. Additionally, some scientists argue that it is too abstract and may not accurately reflect the physical reality of the universe.

3. How have string theory's mistakes led to advancements in physics and mathematics?

While string theory has not yet been proven, its development has led to significant advancements in both physics and mathematics. For example, the concept of extra dimensions and the use of supersymmetry in string theory have influenced other areas of physics, such as cosmology and particle physics. In mathematics, string theory has led to the development of new mathematical techniques, such as mirror symmetry and holography, which have applications in other fields.

4. What other theories have emerged from the failures of string theory?

One theory that has emerged from the failures of string theory is loop quantum gravity, which attempts to merge general relativity and quantum mechanics without the use of strings. Another theory is called the "M-theory," which is an extension of string theory that incorporates multiple dimensions and is still being developed by physicists.

5. Will string theory ever be proven or disproven?

As with any scientific theory, it is impossible to say for certain whether string theory will ever be proven or disproven. However, with continued advancements in technology and new ways of testing theories, it is possible that string theory could be experimentally verified or falsified in the future. In the meantime, scientists will continue to explore and develop new ideas and theories in an effort to understand the fundamental workings of the universe.