Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If String Theory was wrong tomorrow

1. Aug 22, 2013 #1
    ... due to whatever. What has the effort provided besides showing that the universe doesn't work a certain way? Assuming it has aided in other areas of physics and mathematics. Any examples?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2013 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'll have to leave it to others to provide details but it is my understanding that "Assuming it has aided in other areas of physics and mathematics" is not an assumption for math, it is a fact that string theory has advanced study/knowledge in some areas of math.

4. Aug 22, 2013 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Methods developed in string theory can be used to calculate processes in the Standard Model, for example.

5. Aug 22, 2013 #4

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Aug 22, 2013 #5

atyy

Science Advisor

If string theory were experimentally falsified, that would be a huge contribution of string theory!

7. Aug 22, 2013 #6

martinbn

Science Advisor

8. Aug 22, 2013 #7

martinbn

Science Advisor

Contribution to what? I'd say this would be a huge achievement of experimental physics.

9. Aug 22, 2013 #8

atyy

Science Advisor

I imagine the role of the theorist as finding out the space of possible theories consistent with previous data, and suggesting ways of ruling out regions of that space. I think finding out possible theories that may turn out to be wrong is an important part of theory.

10. Aug 22, 2013 #9

martinbn

Science Advisor

That was specifically excluded. He asked about other contributions.

11. Aug 22, 2013 #10
  12. Aug 22, 2013 #11
  13. Aug 22, 2013 #12

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's a review. So far as I know, its content is non-controversial. That is, string theory skeptics such as Penrose or Smolin would not dispute any significant aspect of this review (of mathematical contributions of the string theory program).

14. Aug 23, 2013 #13
    Ed Witten got the Fields medal, that would be an example.

So I guess I answered my own question, but it would be cool if there were more.

15. Aug 23, 2013 #14

martinbn

Science Advisor

Why doesn't my answer qualify?

16. Aug 23, 2013 #15
    Monstrous moonshine and no-ghost theorem are two different wiki pages.

It was awkward.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook