If telescopes travels at 0.9999 c, we can seen things on andromeda almost realtime?

In summary: I'm not sure why you are asking it again here. In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for using time dilation and a nano telescope traveling at 0.99999c to observe events happening in Andromeda almost in real time. However, it is pointed out that due to length contraction and the time it would take to download the information back to Earth, this concept is not feasible. The conversation also mentions the flaws in the Andromeda paradox and the comparison to Einstein's twin paradox.
ppppppp
hi, if i travels at 0.99999c, i will measure time between andromeda and I (events happens in andromeda) shrink to only 0.00447 x 2 millions yrs compared with a person in rest on earth?
Is this right, from t' = t x (1-v^2/c^2)^0.5

So if i travels to 0.99999999999999999999...c, then i can see things happen in andromeda just a few hours ago, because time dilation, i measure time between andromeda to me only a few hours different? (according to t' = t x (1-v^2/c^2)^0.5)

so if this is right, then we just need to make a nano telescope travel at 0.999999999...c (circling around Earth or whatever), we can see everything happens on andromeda almost in real time?

Physics news on Phys.org

While correct in principle there probably are a few things you haven't thought about if you make a telescope that travels with speed 0.(9)c (with 20 nines) so that one hours of its proper time corresponds to one million year in the system at rest relative to Earth and Andromda:

For every hours it records another million year has passed on Earth. So even if the telescope was right next to Earth when it download its recordings, millions of years has passed on Earth. In fact, on Earth, the exact same events from Andromeda could have been recorded in that timespan.

Assuming the telescope is heading towards Andromeda it will, due to length contraction, travel from Earth to Andromeda in around 2 hours of its proper time. So if it recorded for 2 hours it would then find itself at Andromeda and a download from that position to Earth would (ignoring the impossible engineering task of this) take another 2 million year of Earth time, so Earth would have the recordings 2 millions years after the same events could have been recorded on Earth.

The energy required to accelerate even a very light nano telescope to that speed would be astronomical. The kinetic energy of an object at that speed is around 800 TJ/ng (Terra-Joule per nanogram).

In conclusion, it does not really make sense to make a relativistic telescope that uses time dilation to "see into the future" since that future sort of "stays with" the telescope so you cannot relay that information back to Earth and gain any advantage. You'd have to be on-board the telescope yourself for it to make a difference (and then the difference would only be for you and not the rest of the Earth).

Last edited:

i just realized this. Thanks! And I posted a new post Andromeda Paradox is flawed, next to this post

And then consider the fact that your nanotelescope would go whizzing past Andromeda in the next couple (of its) hours and now be very far away from Andromeda and even farther away from Earth so it would take even longer to download the info to Earth. So you'd want to have it stop, maybe orbit Andromeda (how do you orbit a galaxy?) and download the info as it received it. But wait, that's no different than us just looking at it through our Earth-based telescopes a few million years in the future, except that maybe we could see a little more detail of whatever stars it happens to be close to.

So you see that it not just a bad idea, it's a doubly bad idea.

ghwellsjr, it;s already solved in my reply Andromeda paradox is flawed! you are talking about engineering. We are not talking engineering feasibility! You will say the dame same thing to Einstein's twin paradox, same thing, blah blah, that no rocket can go near speed of light.>>>

Did you see that I explained why your proposal wouldn't work on the [post=3260456]other thread[/post] where you asked the same question?

1. How fast is 0.9999 c in miles per hour?

0.9999 c is equivalent to approximately 897,000,000 miles per hour.

2. Can telescopes actually travel at a speed close to the speed of light?

No, currently, telescopes are not capable of traveling at such high speeds. The concept of traveling at 0.9999 c is hypothetical and not currently possible with our current technology.

3. How long would it take for the telescope to reach Andromeda at this speed?

Assuming Andromeda is approximately 2.5 million light years away, it would take the telescope approximately 2.5 million years to reach Andromeda at a speed of 0.9999 c.

4. What would we see on Andromeda in "realtime" if the telescope could travel at this speed?

If the telescope could travel at 0.9999 c, we would see Andromeda as it was 2.5 million years ago, since light takes time to travel from its source to our eyes. However, the image would appear to be in "realtime" due to the high speed of the telescope.

5. How would traveling at this speed affect the images we see through the telescope?

Traveling at such a high speed would cause time dilation, meaning that time would appear to pass slower for the telescope compared to Earth. This would affect the images we see, potentially causing them to appear distorted or stretched out due to the differences in time perception.