Potential Energy of Opposite Charges: Impact of Distance Change

In summary, the electric potential energy between two point charges is proportional to the charges and the distance between them. The potential energy is negative for charges closer together and positive for charges farther apart.
chemistry4all

Homework Statement

Two oppositely charged balls are hung by strings from a wooden dowel. The two balls are separated by a distance of R.

a) If the balls are moved along the dowel until their separation is 3/2 R, has their potential energy increased or decreased?

b) What is the magnitude (size) of the effect on the potential energy (by what factor does it change)?

Homework Equations

Nothing is given but the 3/2 R and I am not sure which equation or equations to use. I am aware of PE= mxgxh and that's about it.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

You've given the expression for gravitational potential energy, but this problem involves electric potential energy because the balls are interacting via the electric force. You need to look up the expression for the electric potential energy between two point charges.

Here is what I have found from my textbook and was not sure exactly how to use it.

The formula for electrostatic potential energy is Eel=kQ1Q2/d

Eel = total electrostatic energy
k= 8.99x10^9 J-m/c^2
Q1= would be charge of +1
Q2= would be charge of -1

Then I plugged it all in Eel=(8.99x10^9)(+1)(-1)/(3/2)
Eel= -5.9933333x10^9 and is this answer in J-m/c^2 units. I am confused on the dimensional analysis. I am very good at it but d has R is that the units and Q1 and Q2 what would be the units so I can cancel them out and get the correct units?

Also is this correct so far. I am still not sure?

The problem is asking you to compare the electric potential energy between two cases. It doesn't give you numbers, though, so you can't work out a specific amount of energy for each case. Your expressions will be in terms of q, the magnitude of the charge on each ball, and R, the initial distance between them.

The balls are oppositely charged, so if one ball has charge q, the other has charge -q. The distance between them initially is R, so the potential energy U (it's best to avoid the letter E since that's usually used to stand for the electric field) is

[tex]U_i = \frac{kq(-q)}{R} = -\frac{kq^2}{R}[/tex]

Now when the distance between them increases to 3/2 R, the potential energy is now

[tex]U_f = \frac{kq(-q)}{3R/2} = -\frac{2}{3} \frac{kq^2}{R}[/tex]

So now you want to figure out for part (a), is Ui>Uf or Ui<Uf. Note that you don't need to know specific values for q and R because both Ui and Uf are proportional to the same quantity, but you should consider whether the potential energies are positive or negative because it'll affect your answer.

Once you think you have an answer, you should consider whether it's reasonable or not. The balls are oppositely charged, so they're attracted to each other. Would you have to do additional work to separate them? Does that jibe with how you think the potential energy changes?

okay chrages are measured in C which is coloumbs now i have the correct units.

The charges are not -1 and +1 they are proton=(1.6x10^-19)
electron=(-1.6x10^-19)

R which is d was 3/2

k=8.99x10^9

so I used the same formula Eel=kQ1Q2/(3/2)

Eel=(8.99x10^9 J-m/c^2)(1.6x10-19 C)(-1.6x10-19)/(3/2)

Eel=-1.5342933333x10^-28 J-m

Am I correct now. I am still not sure how to figure out the answers tot he questions about magnitude and if its increases or decreases in potential energy. Please can someone help.

I understand the formula and how its used but I don't know how to still get the magnitutde and determine the right answers. I am not understanding something.

I have been on this damn one question for 6 hrs I am done I give up. Thanks for everyones help.

You seem to have this obsession with requiring numbers. When it says the final separation is 3/2 R, it doesn't mean that R=3/2. It means the final distance was 3/2 times the original distance, which was R. You don't know what the actual value of R is, but you don't need to.

Same with the charges. All the problem says is the balls have opposite charges, so one has a charge of +q and the other has -q. You don't know what the actual value of q is, but, again, it doesn't matter.

The point of the problem is to understand how the potential energy depends on separation, to be able to answer questions like: If you increase the separation, does it go up or down? How does it vary -- proportionally, inverse proportionally, as 1/r^2?

1. What is the potential energy of opposite charges?

The potential energy of opposite charges is the amount of energy that is stored in a system when two opposite charges are separated by a distance. It is a measure of the work required to bring the charges together or to move them apart.

2. How does the potential energy of opposite charges change with distance?

The potential energy of opposite charges is directly proportional to the distance between them. As the distance increases, the potential energy decreases, and as the distance decreases, the potential energy increases. This relationship is known as the inverse-square law.

3. What happens to the potential energy when the distance between opposite charges is halved?

If the distance between opposite charges is halved, the potential energy will quadruple. This is because of the inverse-square law, which states that the potential energy is inversely proportional to the square of the distance.

4. How does changing the distance between opposite charges affect the strength of their interaction?

Changing the distance between opposite charges has a direct impact on the strength of their interaction. As the distance increases, the strength of their interaction decreases, and as the distance decreases, the strength of their interaction increases. This is because the force between opposite charges is directly proportional to the inverse of the distance squared.

5. Can the potential energy of opposite charges ever be zero?

No, the potential energy of opposite charges can never be zero as long as the charges are not in contact with each other. Even if the distance between them is very large, there will still be a small amount of potential energy due to the inverse-square law.