1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If the inverse of a function maps base sets to base sets, then the fn is continuous?

1. Dec 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that if the inverse of a function between topological spaces maps base sets to base sets, then the function is continuous.

2. Relevant equations
    I have no idea.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I seriously have no idea. This is for my analysis course, and I'm not sure why the prof is going over topology. I have some PDF's so I have some idea about open sets and continuous functions but not enough to solve this proof.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Re: If the inverse of a function maps base sets to base sets, then the fn is continuo

Maybe start by giving the definition of a continuous function? What is it that you need to prove?

Also start by defining basis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook