If the speed of sound is 340m/s, how high is the cliff?

In summary, the problem involves finding the height of a sea cliff using the given information of the speed of sound, total time, and acceleration due to gravity. The solution requires using equations for distance, time, and velocity, and then solving for the unknown variable, the height of the cliff.
sundrops
Physics Help Needed! (work shown just need an extra push in the right direction! )

Hi, I'm currently taking a Physics 100 level course, so this question should be no problem for you smart people out there. lol My grade 12 teacher definately did not prep me for this semester - or maybe I just don't remember my physics. Either way I'm having lots of trouble and was hoping someone would give me a hand.

Here's the problem: A rock is dropped from a sea cliff, and the sound of it striking the ocean is heard 3.2s later. If the speed of sound is 340m/s, how high is the cliff?

Well what I did is I used the following formula:
d = 0.5(Vf + Vi)t
d = 0.5(340m/s - Om/s)(3.2s)
d = 544m

but that seems too simple of a problem to me - not to mention the GINORMOUS height I got for the cliff. It just doesn't seem reasonable! help! :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
please help!

You can find the same problem in this forum.Can u solve a quadratic?

It involves knowing the speed of sound in air...

Daniel.

The speed of sound is given. I need to know how to interpret the data given to me - - because obviously I've done something very wrong. :yuck:

Oh,yes u did...Consider the fact that the total time (3.2s) is the sum between the time of the free fall and the time it takes for the sound to come back your ear...

HINT:For the 2 times,the distance is the same and is unknown...

Daniel.

I honestly don't know - I know that you're trying to help me but I just don't understand - I'm not given the velocity of the falling rock - nor am i given the time that it takes for the rock to fall and hit the water - it doesn't seem like there is enough information to solve the problem.

the only knowns I have are:

a of rock = -9.8m/s^2
v of sound = 340m/s
total time = 3.2s
d = ?

sundrops said:
I honestly don't know - I know that you're trying to help me but I just don't understand - I'm not given the velocity of the falling rock - nor am i given the time that it takes for the rock to fall and hit the water - it doesn't seem like there is enough information to solve the problem.

the only knowns I have are:

a of rock = -9.8m/s^2
v of sound = 340m/s
total time = 3.2s
d = ?

Let t1 be the time it takes for the rock to drop to the bottom.
Let t2 be the time it takes for the sound to travel back to the top.

Can you come up with some equations using t1, t2 and d?

so something like:
t1 + t2 = 3.2, 3.2-t1=t2 (and vise-versa)

and then use

x = xo + (vo)(t1) + 0.5(a)(t2)^2
x = 0 + 0 + 0.5(-9.8m/s^2)(3.2 - t2)^2
x = -15.68 - (-4.9)t2

and

x = (Vf + Vi)t2
x = (340m/s^2 + 0m/s^2)(3.2 - t1)
x = 1088m/s - (340)t1

like that? and then what?
man this is getting frusterating!

wow 57 views and only 7 posts! hehe please help me! I'm really stuck!

Ooops\, sorry ignore this. :P

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm really confused

Last edited:
Hmm, I am not sure if this is right, but here's a try:

[tex]
t_1 + t_2 = 3.2
[/tex]

[tex]
v = v_0 + gt_1
[/tex]

rearrange so that

[tex]
t_1 = \frac{v - v_0}{g}
[/tex]

using work energy theorem

[tex]
v = \sqrt{2gh}
[/tex]

and you also know that

[tex]
t_2 = \frac{h}{v_s}
[/tex]

So then you can solve for h.

sundrops said:
so something like:
t1 + t2 = 3.2, 3.2-t1=t2 (and vise-versa)

and then use

x = xo + (vo)(t1) + 0.5(a)(t2)^2

This formula should only have one time: t1.

x= vo*t1 + 0.5*a*t1^2

Since v0=0, this becomes

x= 0.5*(9.8)t1^2. (Since I'm only dealing with distances here and since the rock is dropping in the downward direction I use +9.8 instead of -9.8)

sundrops said:
x = (Vf + Vi)t2

I don't know where you got this formula... did you mean
x=0.5(Vf+Vi)t2 ? You can use that. Remember here where are talking about the distance traveled by the sound back upward, and the speed of sound is constant.
so Vf=Vi=340.

Or the easier way is to just use
x= v*t2
x=340*t2

Ok. So there are 3 equations you've got:

t1+t2=3.2
x=0.5*9.8*t1^2
x=340*t2

Can you solve for x using these 3 equations? You've got 3 equations in 3 unknowns.

wow! that should definately help - I'll get back to you once I've tried again - thanks!

okay using those three equations:

i) t1 + t2 = 3.2s
ii) x=0.5(9.8m/s^2)(t1)^2
iii) x = 340m/s(t2)

ii) x = (4.9m/s^2)(t1)^2

iii) x = 340m/s(3.2s - t1)
x = 1088m - 340m/s(t1)

so now I need to somehow combine the two t1's and solve for x

would that work? or am I way off track?

also how would i combine the t1's ?

it seems really complicated becuz in one equation the t1 is squared

learningphysics are you still around?

I'm sooo close to being done guys - please can someone explain how to combine the two t1 values so that I can solve for x - and thus solving this problem?

sundrops said:
okay using those three equations:

i) t1 + t2 = 3.2s
ii) x=0.5(9.8m/s^2)(t1)^2
iii) x = 340m/s(t2)

ii) x = (4.9m/s^2)(t1)^2

iii) x = 340m/s(3.2s - t1)
x = 1088m - 340m/s(t1)

so now I need to somehow combine the two t1's and solve for x

would that work? or am I way off track?

I'd solve for t1 in equation iii (so get t1 in terms of x) and then plug it into equation ii. So you get one equation all in x.

Yes, it is kind of complicated... but stick with it. Let me know what you get.

EDIT: Much better to solve for t1 in equation iii, and then plug into equation ii. Makes things easier. No square root.

Then solve the quadratic!

Last edited:
oops! I just kept trying and trying and I plugged it into equation iii) before having read your post. anywhos - I then used the quadratic equation to find t1 = 3.06s and then I plugged t1 into equation ii) and found x = 46.02m

Does that sound about right?

lol I just read your edit - awesome! so that's what I did - is my answer correct?

*crosses her fingers in hopes the answer is correct and that she may finally be done her physics homework*

sundrops said:
oops! I just kept trying and trying and I plugged it into equation iii) before having read your post. anywhos - I then used the quadratic equation to find t1 = 3.06s and then I plugged t1 into equation ii) and found x = 46.02m

Does that sound about right?

That sounds about right to me! Did the computer accept your answer?

Last edited:
YES!

thanks soooo much for your help! You've been awesome! :D

sundrops said:
YES!

thanks soooo much for your help! You've been awesome! :D

You're welcome. :smile:

Hmm.. My final equation would be:

[tex]
\sqrt{\frac{2h}{g}} + \frac{h}{v_s} = 3.2
[/tex]

Edit: Ooops, too late, you already solved it. Sorry, I didnt Refresh.

1. How is the speed of sound related to the height of a cliff?

The speed of sound is related to the height of a cliff because sound waves travel at a constant speed through a medium, such as air. As the distance increases, the time it takes for sound to travel also increases, resulting in a higher cliff height.

2. What is the formula for calculating the height of a cliff using the speed of sound?

The formula for calculating the height of a cliff using the speed of sound is: height = (speed of sound * time taken for sound to travel)/2. This formula is derived from the equation: distance = speed * time.

3. Can the speed of sound vary depending on the location or environment?

Yes, the speed of sound can vary depending on the location and environment. The speed of sound is affected by factors such as temperature, humidity, and altitude. In warmer temperatures, sound tends to travel faster, while in colder temperatures, it travels slower. Higher altitudes also result in a slower speed of sound due to the lower air density.

4. What is the unit of measurement for the speed of sound and the height of a cliff?

The unit of measurement for the speed of sound is meters per second (m/s). The unit for the height of a cliff can be in either meters (m) or feet (ft), depending on the preferred unit of measurement.

5. Can the speed of sound be accurately measured and used to determine the height of a cliff?

Yes, the speed of sound can be accurately measured using special equipment, such as a stopwatch and a sound source. By measuring the time it takes for sound to travel from the source to the cliff, and then back to the observer, the height of the cliff can be calculated using the formula mentioned above.