Pulling a Sled & Box up a Snowy Hill

• Thread starter Wommbatt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box Hill
In summary, at 19kg and 9.80m/s2, 153N is the tension in the rope. When the tension reaches 30kg, the tension is 153N + (30kg*9.80m/s2) = 180N. There is minimal friction, so the sled will continue moving up the slope at a constant speed.
Wommbatt

Homework Statement

A rope attached to a 19.0kg wood sled pulls the sled up a 22.0 degree snow-covered hill. A 11.0 kg wood box rides on top of the sled.

Homework Equations

I have no what the equation may be, I was just doing some research and came across this website plus others and didn't give the formula just some numbers strung together but I attempted it below but I do not know if it is right. My problem also didn't give me the co-efficients of snow on snow and wood on wood so I also took these from previous problems I found on the internet I'm not sure if they are always constant or not.

The Attempt at a Solution

(19kg+11kg)(9.80m/s2)(0.5+0.06)cos22degrees)
(30kg)(9.80m/s2)(0.56)cos22degrees
=153N

Physics news on Phys.org

Wommbatt said:

Homework Statement

A rope attached to a 19.0kg wood sled pulls the sled up a 22.0 degree snow-covered hill. A 11.0 kg wood box rides on top of the sled.

Homework Equations

I have no what the equation may be, I was just doing some research and came across this website plus others and didn't give the formula just some numbers strung together but I attempted it below but I do not know if it is right. My problem also didn't give me the co-efficients of snow on snow and wood on wood so I also took these from previous problems I found on the internet I'm not sure if they are always constant or not.

The Attempt at a Solution

(19kg+11kg)(9.80m/s2)(0.5+0.06)cos22degrees)
(30kg)(9.80m/s2)(0.56)cos22degrees
=153N

No part of this post refers to what you are trying to calculate?

I'm trying to calculate the tension.

Wommbatt said:

You have not given enough information.

Is the rope parallel to the slope?

Is the sled accelerating or moving at constant speed?

And yes, is there any friction? - it should be minimal, that is why we use a sled on snow.

Wommbatt said:

Your title for this thread is:

If the tension in the rope steadily increases, at what value of the tension does the

That might be a problem statement, but perhaps you didn't notice it stops mid sentence.

Perhaps if you typed the full statement you put in the title [but title cuts off after a certain number of characters] it would be clearer.

1. How does pulling a sled and box up a snowy hill work?

Pulling a sled and box up a snowy hill works by using a combination of force and friction. When you pull on the rope attached to the sled, you create a force that is transferred to the sled. The sled then moves forward through the snow, with the friction between the sled and the snow providing resistance against the force of gravity pulling it downhill. The amount of force needed to pull the sled and box up the hill depends on factors such as the weight of the sled and box, the steepness of the hill, and the condition of the snow.

2. What is the best way to pull a sled and box up a snowy hill?

The best way to pull a sled and box up a snowy hill is to start by making sure the rope is securely attached to the sled and that you have a good grip on the rope. Then, use your leg muscles to generate the force needed to pull the sled and box up the hill. Keep your body in a low position and use your arms to help guide the sled along the desired path. It may also be helpful to take breaks and switch arms to avoid muscle fatigue.

3. What factors can affect the difficulty of pulling a sled and box up a snowy hill?

The difficulty of pulling a sled and box up a snowy hill can be affected by several factors. These include the weight of the sled and box, the steepness and length of the hill, the condition of the snow (such as wet or powdery), and the physical strength and endurance of the person pulling the sled. Other factors such as the type of sled and the surface of the snow (such as ice or packed snow) can also play a role in the difficulty.

4. Is pulling a sled and box up a snowy hill a good workout?

Yes, pulling a sled and box up a snowy hill can be a good workout, especially for the lower body muscles. It requires a combination of strength, endurance, and balance to pull the sled and box up the hill. Additionally, the resistance provided by the snow can make it a challenging and effective workout. However, it is important to use proper form and not overexert yourself to avoid injury.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when pulling a sled and box up a snowy hill?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when pulling a sled and box up a snowy hill. First, always make sure the rope is securely attached to the sled and that you have a good grip on it. It is also important to choose a safe route that is free of obstacles and not too steep. Additionally, be mindful of your body's limitations and take breaks as needed. If you feel any pain or discomfort, stop and rest. Finally, always dress appropriately for the weather and wear proper footwear with good traction to avoid slipping on the snow.