1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If the tension in the rope steadily increases, at what value of the tension does the

1. Nov 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rope attached to a 19.0kg wood sled pulls the sled up a 22.0 degree snow-covered hill. A 11.0 kg wood box rides on top of the sled.

2. Relevant equations
    I have no what the equation may be, I was just doing some research and came across this website plus others and didn't give the formula just some numbers strung together but I attempted it below but I do not know if it is right. My problem also didn't give me the co-efficients of snow on snow and wood on wood so I also took these from previous problems I found on the internet I'm not sure if they are always constant or not.

3. The attempt at a solution
    (19kg+11kg)(9.80m/s2)(0.5+0.06)cos22degrees)
    (30kg)(9.80m/s2)(0.56)cos22degrees
    =153N

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

Re: If the tension in the rope steadily increases, at what value of the tension does

No part of this post refers to what you are trying to calculate??????

4. Nov 6, 2011 #3
    Re: If the tension in the rope steadily increases, at what value of the tension does

I'm trying to calculate the tension.

5. Nov 6, 2011 #4

PeterO

Homework Helper

You have not given enough information.

Is the rope parallel to the slope?

Is the sled accelerating or moving at constant speed?

And yes, is there any friction? - it should be minimal, that is why we use a sled on snow.

6. Nov 6, 2011 #5

PeterO

Homework Helper

Your title for this thread is:

If the tension in the rope steadily increases, at what value of the tension does the

That might be a problem statement, but perhaps you didn't notice it stops mid sentence.

Perhaps if you typed the full statement you put in the title [but title cuts off after a certain number of characters] it would be clearer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook