The Future Predetermined? Free Will & Physics Simulation

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of whether the future is predetermined and the implications it has on free will. The Heisenberg uncertainty principle is mentioned as a possible hindrance to the idea of a predetermined future. The conversation also touches on the idea of causality and the potential accuracy of simulating the future. The concept of free will is debated, with some arguing that determinism does not affect it. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that the existence of a predetermined future is simply a thought exercise and does not have a significant impact on our lives.
dorohn
does that mean the future is already written,predetermined when it has been simulated? If so, then instead of the appearance of free choices, the universe itself is actually operating on causality? I mean, if the future can be simulated without error, then where does free will come in? Everything would have already been predicted and simulated @o@?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Heisenberg uncertainty principle, among other things, suggests that what you suggest is not possible.

russ_watters said:
The Heisenberg uncertainty principle, among other things, suggests that what you suggest is not possible.

ohhhhh! that's no fun! I sure hope one day we can at least get an accurate prediction of those lottery ball numbers. :P

Last edited:
dorohn said:
does that mean the future is already written,predetermined when it has been simulated? If so, then instead of the appearance of free choices, the universe itself is actually operating on causality? I mean, if the future can be simulated without error, then where does free will come in? Everything would have already been predicted and simulated @o@?

Try applying your premise to just a tiny subset of the future of the universe; i.e. the weather on Earth tomorrow. You've got your weatherman with his hotshot simulator showing you exactly what you can expect to happen tomorrow outside, and you know he's going to be right. But the weatherman and the simulator have not assumed causality. Causality predated the simulator.

I generally take the stand that free will does not exist, and that everything has already been set in motion. But I only have a weak a priori argument for it, and it requires an assumption that isn't necessary.

However, whether the universe is absolutely predetermined or somewhere in between (I don't accept that the universe is chaos... too much support otherwise), what we ought to do, and what we do do will not change. So predetermination's existence, in my opinion, is just an interesting thought exercise, as opposed to something that could have an interesting effect on our lives.

I mean, if the future can be simulated without error, then where does free will come in?

There is a longstanding view (called compatibilism) that claims determinism has no effect on the question of free will. Look it up.

I've never really investigated the free will issue - it seems to all be pretty nebulous.

I am sure that human beings are able to act as agents in the world, in so far as our actions affect the future course of events.

Do we really want any more than that? If we want to maintain that only the past is metaphysically real, and the future does not exist, I think we are asking too much.

1. Is the future predetermined?

There is no definitive answer to this question as it is a topic of ongoing debate among scientists and philosophers. Some believe that the laws of physics and determinism suggest that the future is predetermined, while others argue that the concept of free will allows for the possibility of creating our own future.

2. How does quantum mechanics affect the idea of predestination?

Quantum mechanics, which is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles on a subatomic level, introduces an element of randomness and uncertainty into the universe. This has led some scientists to suggest that the future may not be predetermined, as there is always a level of unpredictability at the quantum level.

3. Can free will exist in a universe governed by deterministic laws?

This is another question that has sparked much debate among scientists and philosophers. Some argue that the idea of free will is simply an illusion, as our actions are predetermined by the laws of physics. Others believe that free will is a fundamental aspect of human consciousness and cannot be dismissed so easily.

4. How do simulations factor into the concept of a predetermined future?

Simulations, which are computer-generated models of reality, have become increasingly advanced in recent years. Some scientists have proposed the idea that our universe could be a simulation created by a more advanced civilization. If this is the case, then it could suggest that the future is predetermined by the creators of the simulation.

5. What impact does the concept of a predetermined future have on moral responsibility?

If the future is predetermined, then some argue that individuals cannot be held fully responsible for their actions, as they were already predetermined to act in a certain way. However, others argue that the concept of free will and individual agency is still important, regardless of the predetermined nature of the universe.