No Earth, No Gravity: What Would it Be?

• Thread starter cdux
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth
In summary: If there was no moon, the acceleration of gravity from the Earth to the moon would be about 9.8 m/s2.
cdux
If there was no earth, what would be the acceleration of gravity from here from the Sun?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
This is a fairly simple thing to figure out. Is this for a homework assignment?

Get on wikipedia find the the mass of the sun and go from there.

It's not but I realize it's easy to find out:D Nevermind.

Two easy things to remember: distance to sun ≈ 150 million km
earth orbital speed ≈ 30 km/second.

v2/R
=============

of course our distance to sun changes by a few percent during the year. the Earth orbit is not perfectly circular. so the acceleration due to sun gravity at this distance is going to change a little.

=============

I would bet this is not homework, just someone who is curious.

You could use Google calculator too. It knows "mass of sun" and it knowns "G" the Newton gravitational constant and it knows "AU" the astronomical unit (mean distance to sun).

So probably you could type into google window "G*mass of sun/(AU^2)" and get it.

Yeah, when I do that it says 0.006 m/s^2
=================

But if I didn't have google calculator handy I think I would use "v-squared over R"
I wouldn't go looking up the mass of the sun, and Newton's G constant.
I would just say v = 3 x 104 m/s
so then v2 = 9 x 108 m2/s2

And then I would divide by R = 1.5 x 1011 meters

Last edited:
I'm surprised it's so low compared to earth's. Then again, the Earth's diminishes rapidly out of low orbit.

Well it's good to be surprised, so that's good. But a propos what you said about Earth gravity, and practice using google calculator

what would be the acceleration to the Earth at the distance the moon is?

1. What would happen to objects without gravity?

Without gravity, objects would float freely in space. They would not have any weight or be pulled towards a center point, making movement and navigation difficult.

2. Would there be any atmosphere without Earth's gravity?

Without Earth's gravity, there would be no atmosphere as we know it. The gases and particles that make up our atmosphere would disperse into space, leaving the planet with no protection from harmful solar radiation.

3. How would the lack of gravity affect living organisms?

Living organisms evolved to function in Earth's gravity, so without it, their bodies would undergo significant changes. For example, without the constant pull of gravity, bones and muscles would weaken and deteriorate over time.

4. Could we survive on a planet with no gravity?

It is highly unlikely that humans could survive on a planet with no gravity. Our bodies are adapted to function in Earth's gravitational field, and without it, our physiological processes would be severely disrupted.

5. How would the absence of Earth's gravity impact the solar system?

Without Earth's gravity, the solar system would be drastically different. The planets, moons, and other objects would not orbit around each other as they do now. Instead, they would continue to move in a straight line, possibly colliding with each other and causing chaos in the solar system.