If this is my final post, so be it.

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Final
In summary: I posted something about me having trouble with an Arabian owner of a gas station and was given a warning and my post was locked up. I just want to post a follow up.I recently was hired to survey 30 different gas stations in Northern California. I had no problem with 27 of those, however, on the other 3 I was not allowed on the property to do my job. Coincidently all three of those were owned by gentlemen from the middle east. The other 27 were not owned by gentlemen from the Middle East.Is it racist to say that someone raised in the middle east has a different philosophy than someone raised in Japan?Is it a coincidence that these three were the only ones I had a problem
tribdog
I posted something about me having trouble with an Arabian owner of a gas station and was given a warning and my post was locked up. I just want to post a follow up. I was recently hired to survey 30 different gas stations in Northern California. I had no problem with 27 of those, however, on the other 3 I was not allowed on the property to do my job. Coincidently all three of those were owned by gentlemen from the middle east. The other 27 were not owned by gentlemen from the Middle East.
Here's were there seems to be a misunderstanding. I never said that anyone was inferior to anyone else, I was talking about their philosophy. Is it racist to say that someone raised in the middle east has a different philosophy than someone raised in Japan?
Is it a coincidence that these three were the only ones I had a problem with? Everyone needs to quit being so damn sensitive, philosophy differs throughout the world. If I had said that the Japanese owners were very accomodating and seemed really interested in our equipment and techniques, and that the American owners had a "whatever" attitude would anyone have been upset? Human is human, no one race is superior to another. Cultures on the other hand are different and if you can't see that, then maybe you actually are inferior.

Physics news on Phys.org
w00t your back tribdog. I forbid any mentors from banning him. Everyone's opinions are different, much like these gas-station assistants. I read the post and I don't think he was being racist, he was just stating something he noticed that day.

Howdy tribdog--

While I don't think your previous gas station post was intended to be racist either, I suspect that is because I've read enough of your other posts to be familiar with your sense of humor. For someone who encountered that post in isolation, I don't think there's enough there to decipher your take on things. And, er, Apu is Indian not Arab.

Also, if these guys at the gas stations have been hassled by racists in the past, they might just be exercising justifiable caution.

Have you discussed this with Evo yet (or whomever locked that topic)? In general, it is best to first approach these complaints through the PM system before airing a general complaint to the forum.

Here's the locked topic...
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=45815

Personally, I agree the topic deserves to be locked...a questionable OP and two unacceptable responses.

Last edited:
TRIBDOG, you were surveying for what exactly?Asking them about war in Iraq
,terrorism?
If yes, I would not only kick you out of their property but call police.

Last edited:
Phobos said:
Personally, I agree the topic deserves to be locked...a questionable OP and two unacceptable responses.

I'd like to respond in my defense, if I may. My post was entirely in jest (big green smiley), and entirely in response to the reply.

This of course, does not mean that it was not unacceptable.

Phobos said:
Have you discussed this with Evo yet (or whomever locked that topic)? In general, it is best to first approach these complaints through the PM system before airing a general complaint to the forum.

Here's the locked topic...
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=45815

It wasn't me, but I also would have locked it.

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
I'd like to respond in my defense, if I may. My post was entirely in jest (big green smiley), and entirely in response to the reply.

Understood/agree.

Gokul43201 said:

Liar, you did it on purpose. Of course you contributed so you don't get any warnings. Very nice moderating indeed.

tumor said:
TRIBDOG, you were surveying for what exactly?Asking them about war in Iraq
,terrorism?
If yes, I would not only kick you out of their oroperty but call police for harrasment.

He was surveying gas stations. "Survey says nine out of ten gas stations owners reject war in Iraq" I don't think so.

tribdog said:
I posted something about me having trouble with an Arabian owner of a gas station and was given a warning and my post was locked up. I just want to post a follow up. I was recently hired to survey 30 different gas stations in Northern California. I had no problem with 27 of those, however, on the other 3 I was not allowed on the property to do my job.
The way the other post is worded, it sounds like it was the first two out of two, not just 3 out of 30. What I got from that post is that you went out on a job site unprepared: that letter from whoever hired you is a must. Its perfectly reasonable to kick you off their property if you are unable to produce evidence of why you should be there.

russ_watters said:
The way the other post is worded, it sounds like it was the first two out of two, not just 3 out of 30. What I got from that post is that you went out on a job site unprepared: that letter from whoever hired you is a must. Its perfectly reasonable to kick you off their property if you are unable to produce evidence of why you should be there.

Also consider that in recent years these guys have probably had to put up with a lot of harassment and racism that they didn't deserve. Their responses, thoguh perhaps not rational, are not necessarily unwarranted.

Also the original thread was inflammatory, you were obviously upset when you post it. While what you had meant is more clear now, that thread was going bad places fast, and needed to be locked.

deltabourne said:
Liar, you did it on purpose. Of course you contributed so you don't get any warnings. Very nice moderating indeed.
Many contributors have gotten warnings. I've issued a good percentage of them.

- Warren

What am I being accused of here ? :confused:

And how does someone (that is not a mentor/admin) get to know whether or not I've been warned ? :confused:

Gokul43201 said:
And how does someone (that is not a mentor/admin) get to know whether or not I've been warned ? :confused:

He doesn't know. He's just sore because I warned him a couple of days ago for calling someone a moron.

Tom Mattson said:
He doesn't know. He's just sore because I warned him a couple of days ago for being an arrogant, obnoxious jerk.

Edited for truth.

Two can play that game.

--Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What does "If this is my final post, so be it." mean?

"If this is my final post, so be it." is a statement that suggests the speaker is ready to accept the end of their posting activity, whether it be on a social media platform or in a blog.

2. Why would someone say "If this is my final post, so be it."?

There could be various reasons for someone to say "If this is my final post, so be it." It could be a personal decision to stop posting, a lack of interest in continuing, or a result of external factors such as account suspension or termination.

3. Is saying "If this is my final post, so be it." a common practice?

It is not a common practice for people to end their online posting activity with the phrase "If this is my final post, so be it." However, with the rise of social media and blogging, it is possible for people to use this phrase as a way to end their online presence.

4. Can saying "If this is my final post, so be it." have a deeper meaning?

It is possible for the phrase "If this is my final post, so be it." to have a deeper meaning for the person saying it. It could represent a sense of finality, acceptance, or closure in their online presence. It could also be a way for them to express their resignation or indifference towards the end of their posting activity.

5. Does saying "If this is my final post, so be it." have any impact on the person's future online activity?

There is no direct impact of saying "If this is my final post, so be it." on the person's future online activity. It is ultimately their personal decision to stop posting or continue with their online presence. However, it could potentially leave a lasting impression on their audience or followers, as it may come across as a definitive end to their online presence.