Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If we all locked ourselves in rooms

1. Oct 21, 2005 #1
    I was recently reading a book about quantum theory and it made me ask the following question... If every conscious creature locked themselves in their own rooms, would everything live forever? That is assuming no observer ever came to open the doors and noone ever came out.

Even then... If one person opened someone else's door, would that only kill the two people? Or could they even open the doors? How could they open them if opening the doors killed them?
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2005 #2
    People exist in a macroscopic scale and quantum effects are negligable. So we can use our common sense in these situations and conclude that opening a door will not kill you or anybody else. You may be thinking of the cat paradox, but that is caused by the uncertainty of a quantum system which is set up in such a way that it can effect a macroscopic object like a cat, and there isn't any mechanism as such in this "lock ourselves in our rooms" senerio. Everyone will die if a sufficient ammount of time passes.
  4. Oct 21, 2005 #3
    Ahh you are right. I see my error in logic.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?