1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If we have to use a match to start a reaction, is it endothermic?

1. Jul 7, 2005 #1
    If we have to use a match to start a reaction, is it endothermic?

I have searched for the answer in my book, wasted about 3 hours but to no avail. Anyone?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2005 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

you really searched for 3 hours? I would have guessed you've never opened the text...really it doesn't get any easier then this.

4. Jul 7, 2005 #3
    thanks for the "reply". Although that doesn't help me. Maybe it's easy for you but we're not all in the same grade, and you have to remember that, sir.

5. Jul 7, 2005 #4

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

6. Jul 7, 2005 #5

lurflurf

Homework Helper

An endothermic reaction is like pushing a rock up a hill.
    An exothermic reaction is like rolling a rock down a hill.
    A match is like giving a rock a shove.
    Either type of reation may require a start from a match, after that the endothermic reation absorbs energy (often heat), while the exothermic reation releases energy (often heat).
    So in short more information is needed to answer the question.

7. Jul 8, 2005 #6

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, there's slightly more to this problem.

Chocolaty, you'll need to observe a free energy diagram. Most reactions, although exothermic require an energy input to surpass the activation energy barrier, so in short, you can't tell whether a reaction is exothermic or endothermic simply by the fact that it proceeded through the input of heat.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?