If we have to use a match to start a reaction, is it endothermic?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of endothermic and exothermic reactions and whether using a match to start a reaction automatically makes it endothermic. The group has different opinions and one person suggests looking at a free energy diagram for more information.
Chocolaty

I have searched for the answer in my book, wasted about 3 hours but to no avail. Anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
you really searched for 3 hours? I would have guessed you've never opened the text...really it doesn't get any easier then this.

thanks for the "reply". Although that doesn't help me. Maybe it's easy for you but we're not all in the same grade, and you have to remember that, sir.

Chocolaty said:

I have searched for the answer in my book, wasted about 3 hours but to no avail. Anyone?
An endothermic reaction is like pushing a rock up a hill.
An exothermic reaction is like rolling a rock down a hill.
A match is like giving a rock a shove.
Either type of reation may require a start from a match, after that the endothermic reation absorbs energy (often heat), while the exothermic reation releases energy (often heat).
So in short more information is needed to answer the question.

Actually, there's slightly more to this problem.

Chocolaty, you'll need to observe a free energy diagram. Most reactions, although exothermic require an energy input to surpass the activation energy barrier, so in short, you can't tell whether a reaction is exothermic or endothermic simply by the fact that it proceeded through the input of heat.

1. How does using a match to start a reaction affect its endothermic nature?

Using a match to start a reaction does not change its endothermic nature. The match is simply a source of heat to initiate the reaction, but the overall energy change of the reaction remains the same.

2. Is the use of a match necessary for an endothermic reaction to occur?

No, the use of a match is not necessary for an endothermic reaction to occur. It is simply a convenient way to provide the initial activation energy needed for the reaction to start.

3. Can endothermic reactions occur without the use of a match?

Yes, endothermic reactions can occur without the use of a match. Other sources of heat or energy, such as electricity or sunlight, can also be used to initiate the reaction.

4. How does the use of a match affect the rate of an endothermic reaction?

The use of a match can increase the rate of an endothermic reaction by providing the necessary activation energy. However, the overall energy change of the reaction remains the same regardless of the rate.

5. Can endothermic reactions be reversed by using a match?

No, using a match to start an endothermic reaction does not reverse the reaction. It simply provides the initial energy needed for the reaction to occur. Reversing an endothermic reaction would require a different set of conditions and may not be possible.