Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If without your 5 senses

1. Nov 9, 2004 #1
    what if...you lose all your 5 senses...and..

What would it be like if 1 day you wake up and realise your 5 senses are gone...that means you cannot touch, smell, listen, see and taste. What would you do? What would reality be like to you?
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2004 #2
    well... I assume i would be unable to speak aswell.

I see two options:

1. I would feel like nothing, getting more and more deppressed and evetually die of the wish to do so.

2. I would get around the sadness, chock and expand and evolve my imaginary "vocabulary" and create my own world inside my head to live in.
    A little help of some mental disorder would help in this case, or/and highly hallucogen drugs.

Im serious with the last sentence even if it may sound like humour.

Other options are welcome!

PS, imagine (well its impossible but anyways) being born that way....or just add one of the "minor" senses like either taste, or smell for example.
  4. Nov 9, 2004 #3
    I think it would be like what people experience in a sensory deprivation tank. You'd end up hallucinating constantly.
  5. Nov 9, 2004 #4
    sabbis...very well thought out...excellent ideas! I especially liked the second one.

hmmm...if i were to be put in that state(w/o my 5 senses)...i would rather just die...
  6. Nov 9, 2004 #5
    I'd bump into everything possible...
    Depressing, considering I’d know what I was missing. But, a more interesting scenario is to consider all of humanity being born into that condition. Why, how much would you care to bet that, not knowing what they were missing, many people would come to believe they had it (reality) all figured out? (You know, just like how so many with but a measly 5 senses tend to do presently).
  7. Nov 14, 2004 #6
    If it was for only one day then I highly doubt one would die. As for how it would feel, lets think about this for a minute. No smell,touch,hearring,sight, or taste and you was to just one day wake up this way! Well, one opens there eyes see's nothing(black),can't feel them self laying on the bed(as if floating in 0 g's). One can still move but unaware of 3D space. One can not smell nor taste so they would not even realize that on a subconsous level there brain is still telling the lungs too inhale and exhale without the taste of the air. One with out the sight and hearring and combined with the lack of the other 3 senses would have no equilibrium. You asked, what would it be like? well, A DREAM!
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2004
  8. Nov 16, 2004 #7
    That one day is the closest an obeserver will ever get to observing the present time. Embrace it.
  9. Nov 18, 2004 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm assuming we can still feel things such as our emotions? If so, then I'd panic. Then when I realized I was probably flailing around etc... damaging my body, I'd try to stop moving and hope I wasn't face down.

I'd probably figure out if I was face down by seeing when I started to thing retarded. But it might be too late by then.

All in all, I'd assume I was dead.
  10. Nov 18, 2004 #9
    It would probably be an all knowing state, since that is what our 5 senses prevent us from now.

What would I do, forget about all my worries since the body and its senses causes them all.

What would reality be like to me, blissss.
  11. Nov 18, 2004 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The fact that you can't have any means of sensing your death coming doesn't bother you? The way you'll have no idea how much time has passed?
  12. Nov 18, 2004 #11

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

isn't that what a fetus is experiencing ultimately? or one in a coma sustained by artificial means? it would be a hard adjustment for me because i love to create beautiful items with fabrics, beads, paper, etc and i love music and then of course good food...yes, it would be depressing.
  13. Nov 19, 2004 #12
    If you go fishing, look at the stars or daydream and you will have the answer.
  14. Nov 20, 2004 #13
    Is your question asking what would happen if our skin stopped feeling? (that is what most ppl think of when they talk about losing the sense of touch) Because if so then you could still feel yourself hitting the floor it would just be the pain of your arm that would alert you to that fact.

My personal feelings are that i would hopefully die, because to me life without movement and sight is nothing. I enjoy it too much.

PS awesome quote Kerrie
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2004
  15. Nov 21, 2004 #14
    If you woke up without any senses, I dont think you would actually wake up. why would you. you need somesort of outside stimulous to wake up. and If you didn't you wouldnt even know you were awake.
  16. Nov 21, 2004 #15
    i think that you can wake up without a outside stimuli, becuz sleep is controlled by the brain. I dont think it would be the same assuming that you could still imagine that you had you senses in your dreams. Many ppl lucid dream (if you dont know how to i must put in my 2 cents and say YOU SHOULD LEARN! It Is Awesome! but it takes a lot of work. i've been practicing for 1year+ and have only had like 15 lucid dreams over that entire time, very hard) so i think that would become their "awake" time and being awake would be considered conscience sleep.
  17. Dec 4, 2004 #16
    What does it mean not to feel? I can't imagine something I've never experienced. Since many relate imaginary situations to ones previously experienced. Anyways, well it kind of depends. If I was born without the five senses, I wouldn't know what I was missing and in that case, I would probably last for like a day and die (since I wouldn't know how to eat).
    Question: Am I the only one experiencing this or is society as a whole suffer under the same condition? If i was the only one, I guess my family would care for me and I would wander aimlessly and like sabbis, create my own world to justify my existance, living in a world of hallucination.
    A society cannot exist under this condition and the only way it can is maybe by devolving (is this a word?) back to forms of simple cells.
  18. Dec 4, 2004 #17

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Isn't being "awake" the state of being aware of sensory input? In this case, you couldn't wake up. You'd be in exactly the same state you were in while you were asleep. My guess is that you'd just dream indefinitely until you starved to death.
  19. Dec 6, 2004 #18
    This is such a cool thread. I love the diversity, from the 'i'd rather die' camp to the 'blisssss' camp. That rocks. If you couldn't sense anything at all, I imagine it would either cause a blissful feeling or a feeling of sheer panic, but ultimately you'd die of exposure, starvation, dehydration or whatever the material world did to try to help you. However, if you were born that way, you wouldn't really know the difference, so it wouldn't matter. Especially with the development of the brain and sensory-motor skills at a young age, the child would likely adapt and live in it's 'own world'.

Jordan Veale
  20. Dec 8, 2004 #19
    This is something I have wondered about many times! I think it would be more interesting to ask: What would I "feel" like if I was born without eyesight? I realize that many people are born blind, and it surprises me immenseley how one can learn to analyse the world and learn to communicate at all without eyesight. it's incomprehensible! Just imagine being born and suddenly to start feeling pinches from your parents. How do blind people begin to understand those pinches and realize that they can communicate as well?

On the other hand, we might not have the senses that a (hypothetical) alien race has, and they might wonder how we learned to appreciate the world without their senses.

perhaps, we can only experience 0.9% of the universe with only our 5 senses. Perhaps even the technology humanity produces will be unable to uncover the "actual" structure of the universe, or our place in it.

21. Dec 9, 2004 #20

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A person in this state would probably would not be aware of awakening. At best, the lucidity of awakening might lead to a thought along the lines of "Am I awake now?" But with no sensory information, I doubt that person would come to the conclusion that s/he was awake. As several posters have mentioned, prolonged sensory deprivation causes vivid hallucinations, so the person's conscious state would soon become dream-like, although perhaps in an uncharacteristically vivid manner.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?